Mock Cherry Pie

My husband saw where I was printing the recipe and he thinks it sounds good. But now he's like, "you're cooking Civil War food?" I'm like, " you be careful or you'll have to go wring a chicken's neck," (we have egg laying chickens), which would make him an instant vegetarian!

I made it, today, Monday. I started cutting up the cranberries on Saturday and it takes a lot of cranberries to make 1 1/2 cups. For your future knowledge - it takes about 2/3 of a 12 oz bag of cranberries. And I seeded. And I'm not going to worry about it in the future. It took a LONG TIME to cut and seed those little buggers. I finally settled on having a damp paper towel and when I would slice the cranberry, the pips would often stick to the knife and I would wipe the knife on the damp towel to remove the pips - they stick to EVERYTHING. I think I spent about 2 hours slicing and trying to seed those things and the pips don't want to be removed, they want to stick.

I've also wondered if the cranberries used 150 years ago had bigger seeds in them. If they weren't gathering the cranberries themselves, then they would have been available only in the late fall of the year and probably only in a few cities so I'm not thinking new and improved berries.

I also don't think you need a top crust with this pie. I put a "lattice" one on but did such a poor job because I was frustrated with the dough, I'm only showing this picture. It is a DELICIOUS pie. I wouldn't quite think of cherries but I don't think of cranberries exactly either. The raisins (seedless) and cranberries moderate each other. I will definitely make it in the future. My 22-year-old daughter, who thought this was weird, just tried a piece too and really likes it, so it passed the acid test and weird Civil War mommy wins again!

IMG_3168.JPG

Back