Michigan soldier models.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
I have three of these display cases showing Michigan uniforms. I have not worked on them for a while. I have 44 figures in all. I still have room for 5 more. I have kind of lost interest and thought if I did a post about them,. it might motivate me to do 5 more figures.

20260806_230641.webp

Some figures are better than others, but I am limited by the quality of available figures to convert.
 
Note these two are the same basic figure.
20260806_234720.webp


A couple more figures.
20260806_235358.webp


i understand that our polite forum members are hesitant to say so, but i do understand that I have like zero talent with models. I enjoy it and I do not really care that i am not at all good at it. No worries, I am poor at so many things that being very poor at modeling is the least of my worries.
 
Last edited:
I feel ya bro. However, your guys are awesome! I think it's great work. They look amazing. And....it's a small glimpse into what was what the men wore. I've been breezing over the modelers on the Bay who sell ready to go AP Hill and Meade, plus some. I loved painting 15mm to 54mm when I was a kid. I built some WW2 airplanes with my boys back when they were kids. I need a new hobby again.
 
Those figures look fine to me! Any wargamer would call them "table ready." I paint in a similar style: block colors, not a lot of shading. I've seen it described as "flat style." Really it was how everybody painted their wargaming miniatures 40 years ago and is a valid artistic expression.
How did you mod havelocks? I use aluminum foil. Cheap. Easy to cut and manipulate. Takes paint well.
 
Those figures look fine to me! Any wargamer would call them "table ready." I paint in a similar style: block colors, not a lot of shading. I've seen it described as "flat style." Really it was how everybody painted their wargaming miniatures 40 years ago and is a valid artistic expression.
How did you mod havelocks? I use aluminum foil. Cheap. Easy to cut and manipulate. Takes paint well.
I think on this one I melted sprue in liquid model glue. I cut card stock to shape. Soaked the card stock and pushed it place and shaped it.

On some I did a fair amount of shading but often did not like the result.
 
Last edited:
That's true. But like a lot of modelers who grew up in the 1970s, I was heavily influenced by Shepherd Paine's dioramas. (The ones that wee featured in Monogram model kits.) He used a lot of found items and emphasized household items as modeler's tools.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top