Maps showing camps??

Joined
Jul 3, 2014
Hey all,

I didn't see a forum for maps so I figured I'd ask here and perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a good resource to find maps showing where camps were. I've had only a small amount of luck.

Specifically I'm looking for a map that shows the placement of Camp Benton in Maryland, along the Potomac.

Any leads would be great. Thanks!
 
I couldn't find a period map, but Camp Benton was near Poolesville, MD in the Western part of the state - (Montgomery County).

Poolesville Civil War Camps (1861 - 1865), at or near Poolesville Union garrison posts here were: Camp Bates, Camp Benton (1861 - 1862), Camp Lyon (1862), Camp Stone (1861 - 1862), and Camp Heintzelman (1862 - 1863). The river crossing at Edward's Ferry was protected throughout the war. Edward's Ferry state marker located on Edward's Ferry Road at MD 190 (River Road).
http://www.northamericanforts.com/East/mdwest.html#pooles




siteMap.png


http://heritagemontgomery.org/content/interactive-map-0
 
Thanks so much.

I've been able to pin down that, read it was two miles from the river, and I think from descriptions that it was along Edwards Ferry road. I've just been hoping to come across a definitive description or image.
 
I understand.

It took me about one year to locate the exact position of my GG Grandfather's camp during the Vicksburg Campaign.

He was at Camp Milldale, a few miles northeast of the city near the Yazoo River.

Long story short - even today there is is small community/church in the general area named Milldale, but the actual campsite is on private property about one mile or two from the current community.

Good luck on your search !

The best advice I can give . . . start with the local historians.

They may know the exact location of Camp Benton. :thumbsup:
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top