Looking for first name and regiment

Mike Serpa

Major
Does anyone know his first name and regiment? Is he related to General Samuel K. Zook.
05362v.jpg

Major P.J. Zook - LOC

I found only 1 Zook with those initials and he ended the war as a private so no dice there. I then looked at the top 50 hits under the names "Zook", "Zuch", and "Zuck" and came up with zilch. A more thorough search may be called for.

Ryan

I found only 1 Zook with those initials and he ended the war as a private so no dice there. I then looked at the top 50 hits under the names "Zook", "Zuch", and "Zuck" and came up with zilch. A more thorough search may be called for.

Ryan
Thanks for the extra effort in searching. I like your use of alliteration: "Zook", "Zuch", and "Zuck" and came up with zilch! I didn't think to try variant spellings. Maybe Peter or Paul for a first name? The Library of Congress sometimes has errors with the identifications.

We probably came up with the same Peter Zook 62nd. Ill. I tried All the P. names Peter. Phillip .... I spent a god deal of time Friday searching for a Gen Hallibid, Hallibird ,Hallikid from a CDV from a old photo album. to no avail. Seek and ye shall find"

Yep. Peter Zook. Not enough to be 100% certain.

Are you looking for General Samuel Holabird?

I don't know if you found this "United States Congressional Serial Set " Portraits of Army Officers XX1 Page 27 Zook Major P.J. s. 1801 . Might be worth a search .

Thanks for the extra effort in searching. I like your use of alliteration: "Zook", "Zuch", and "Zuck" and came up with zilch! I didn't think to try variant spellings. Maybe Peter or Paul for a first name? The Library of Congress sometimes has errors with the identifications.

I found one Peter Zook but he was a private in an Indiana regiment, as I recall.

For the search that I did, I just looked up the last name and scanned the records, regardless of the first name.

Ryan

I found one Peter Zook but he was a private in an Indiana regiment, as I recall.

For the search that I did, I just looked up the last name and scanned the records, regardless of the first name.

Ryan
Thanks. I'm wondering if there is an error at the LOC.

I did a quick scan of the ORs as well and only came across 2 Zooks. One was General Samuel K. Zook and the other was a Lieutenant Zook who served as a staff officer for General Mahlon Manson. Manson mentioned Lt. Zook in his report as serving with distinction and courage but there is no mention of his first name anywhere in the records. I don't recall if his regiment was mentioned to look him up that way either.

Ryan

Photograph is from the Brady Collection so there has to be some more information, he is wearing staff officer straps and was not breveted a general, at the end of the war.

Additional observations:
  • He is a dandy
  • Does not look like a frockcoat, but a short jacket
  • You can see both double trouser stripes all the way to his waist
  • Has the regulation Civil War (1861) seven button front for Colonel and Major
  • Unusual button pattern
I was thinking possibly post war Major, but no longer think so, pension request records from wife could possibly shed light.
I was looking to see if SK Zook had a son who served.

Additional observations:
  • He is a dandy
  • Does not look like a frockcoat, but a short jacket
  • You can see both double trouser stripes all the way to his waist
  • Has the regulation Civil War (1861) seven button front for Colonel and Major
  • Unusual button pattern
I was thinking possibly post war Major, but no longer think so, pension request records from wife could possibly shed light.
I was looking to see if SK Zook had a son who served.
I can't find a wife or children of him.

Back