Little Sorrel

I was there today at the museum and they told me Lee’s Chapel was closed and didn’t think it would ever be open again 😡
I can’t even figure out the logic of closing Lee’s Chapel. Why is the chapel offensive? I’m glad I got to see it in 2018 and didn’t find anything offensive about it and the docents, who were Northerners actually, were very proud of it. So what’s offensive????

I can’t even figure out the logic of closing Lee’s Chapel. Why is the chapel offensive? I’m glad I got to see it in 2018 and didn’t find anything offensive about it and the docents, who were Northerners actually, were very proud of it. So what’s offensive????
None of anything they do makes any sense. I went to Lee’s chapel in 2017 and absolutely loved it and like you glad I did. I was thinking while there that day how awesome it would be to have a service there

And why should offending Governor Northam be of anyone’s concern. No one cares about offending any of us. Think about it, I call it the unsilent minority ruling the silent majority. Isn’t it time to make some noise and not care who it offends. Peaceably of course.
You nailed it!!
Meanwhile you cannot do or say anything for fear to step on anyone's toes - but have to watch helplessly how the memory of people who were greater than most of the oh so political correct activists of today is torn in the dirt.
I can only repeat that when we visited VMI our tour guide was a charming African-American cadet who was probably the greatest fan of Jackson I know - and he told us between the three of us, that never for a second he felt insulted or treated second class at VMI. He was proud of the glorious past of the institution he now is part of and of course of the cadets who marched to New Market - because he is one of them! People like him and like countless others should be heard also in the public discussion - but instead any discussion is cancelled by wiping out "unfitting" parts - and that is a sad worldwide phenomenon.

Like you, I only visited Lexington because of Jackson's VMI years and Lee's last years as president of the Washington and Lee University. Remove the memory of these two historic characters from the City of Lexington and what will remain that is worth a visit? A dead horse?

The abject surrender by VMI Administration, Board of Visitors, and Alumni agencies "leadership" over this whole matter is an embarrassment - even worse than the despicable accusations of that VMI alumnus occupying the governor's mansion. Their actions are an affront to VMI's founders, the New Market Cadets, and all Alumni who fought to defend Virginia, not for slavery, but against Union invasion.

My last reunion, it seems, was the last time I'll ever visit the "woke" VMI campus. A group of us have recommended we move our next reunion out of Lexington altogether. Otherwise, a number of us will. regrettably, not attend.

I just read that Lee Chapel was renamed University Chapel in June of 2021? This is so dumb it defies incredulity.

The man existed, he’s buried there, his whole family is buried there, his office is there, his horse is buried there. He saved Washington College from going extinct. Dumb and dumber.

None of anything they do makes any sense. I went to Lee’s chapel in 2017 and absolutely loved it and like you glad I did. I was thinking while there that day how awesome it would be to have a service there
Looking back, I was incredibly fortunate to have gotten married in Lee Chapel back in 1992 with “Lee lying recumbent on the battlefield”, visible in all his glory in my wedding photos. The original battle flags that used to surround his statue That were taken down years ago were still hanging and visible in the pics. Sad to see that’ll never be replicated for anyone else

Looking back, I was incredibly fortunate to have gotten married in Lee Chapel back in 1992 with “Lee lying recumbent on the battlefield”, visible in all his glory in my wedding photos. The original battle flags that used to surround his statue That were taken down years ago were still hanging and visible in the pics. Sad to see that’ll never be replicated for anyone else
Would you mind sharing that wedding photo? I'd love to see you and your bride standing there with the flags around and Lee in the background. What a fitting location for a VMI alumnus to get married!

Would you mind sharing that wedding photo? I'd love to see you and your bride standing there with the flags around and Lee in the background. What a fitting location for a VMI alumnus to get married!
Let me see if I can find them....it was with wife#1. I’m on #2....as you can imagine, they aren’t really close by to scan

Let me see if I can find them....it was with wife#1. I’m on #2....as you can imagine, they aren’t really close by to scan
Oops, sorry! Of course I don't want to cause a marital conflict by raising suspicion why all of a sudden you look for the wedding photo with no.1. You're excused and I'm sure you were a beautiful couple in a beautiful setting. :smile:

Oops, sorry! Of course I don't want to cause a marital conflict by raising suspicion why all of a sudden you look for the wedding photo with no.1. You're excused and I'm sure you were a beautiful couple in a beautiful setting. :smile:
Found one of them from after we closed the gate....before the ceremony, we had the gate open and took several posing adjacent to Lee's statue inside the rotunda area...if I can find them, I'll post one...they had some great shots of the statue and the flags encircling Lee. In 2018 (I think), they removed the portrait of Lee in uniform and replaced it with one of him in civilian attire. I'm not even sure that one is there now.

2021_06_24_11_20_10.pdf000.jpg

They’ll notice an obvious difference in traffic and sales. I’m very sure of that. Jackson’s home on the other hand will probably become even more popular.
Well, lets hope so... but maybe removing his statue from VMI was just the beginning... maybe the narrative told in his home will change, the way they introduce Jackson to the public might be screwed. I know I'm sounding pessimistic, but why would they be gentle on Jackson at his home and remove his statue from VMI. Again, I'm glad I had been there before.

@vmicraig thank you for sharing that beautiful photo! Very impressive!

Well, lets hope so... but maybe removing his statue from VMI was just the beginning... maybe the narrative told in his home will change, the way they introduce Jackson to the public might be screwed. I know I'm sounding pessimistic, but why would they be gentle on Jackson at his home and remove his statue from VMI. Again, I'm glad I had been there before.

@vmicraig thank you for sharing that beautiful photo! Very impressive!
I hope and believe that won’t happen. When I toured his home the tour guide was so knowledgable and happy to tell wonderful stories about Jackson such as his nightly walks from his home through downtown Lexington. It was a wonderful experience, listening to all the fond, heart warming stories about the man. Seeing the actual walking stick he used on his nightly walks leaning against the wall is if it were left there in that spot by the man himself.

Last edited:
Back