Little Sorrel

vmicraig

Sergeant
I was walking around the outside of barracks at VMI yesterday and was pleased to see Little Sorrel’s grave is still intact and untouched. It was difficult seeing the empty space where Jackson’s statue used to reside, but unfortunately, the removal of all things “Jackson” from VMI is a done deal. For now, his four esteemed cannons, known on post as Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John still remain in the former shadow of his statue.

Little Sorrel’s stuffed hide is still on display in the cadet museum beneath “Memorial Hall”, formerly known as Jackson Memorial Hall until a couple weeks ago.

26E516F8-B053-4EC6-A6D3-3624493C96D2.jpeg

33A69C7B-3EB6-486A-A4AB-303B66B0DBB8.jpeg

E55DEF66-BC38-4216-9737-8974D87FD7AF.jpeg

I was walking around the outside of barracks at VMI yesterday and was pleased to see Little Sorrel’s grave is still intact and untouched. It was difficult seeing the empty space where Jackson’s statue used to reside, but unfortunately, the removal of all things “Jackson” from VMI is a done deal. For now, his four esteemed cannons, known on post as Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John still remain in the former shadow of his statue.

Little Sorrel’s stuffed hide is still on display in the cadet museum beneath “Memorial Hall”, formerly known as Jackson Memorial Hall until a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 405109

View attachment 405110

View attachment 405111
Thank you for posting. The last time I visited VMI Jackson was proudly displayed everywhere as he should be. The removal of all things Jackson is the result of cowardly sniveling less than human idiots. I suppose we are just as at fault for letting them get away with it.

Glad that the grave stone remains undamaged. I’ve never been a huge fan of taxidermied horses, but if those who have seen say it’s good, then I believe them.

Can’t really speak to the Jackson thing, other than to say that looking at history requires one to do so free from bias. And that is very hard to achieve.

Glad that the grave stone remains undamaged. I’ve never been a huge fan of taxidermied horses, but if those who have seen say it’s good, then I believe them.

Can’t really speak to the Jackson thing, other than to say that looking at history requires one to do so free from bias. And that is very hard to achieve.
They should at least recognize the entire picture and acknowledge all the players and the rolls they played. Not erase the ones we don’t like from existence.

Last edited:

View attachment 405109

View attachment 405110

View attachment 405111
Great piece of information. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed.

Me neither , I was never a fan of any taxidermy. I remember in school being brought on a field trip to our natural history museum dubbed “The Dead Zoo” the place gave me the creeps.

I saw both Little Sorrel and his grave when I was there last. He looked very good when I saw him, almost perfect.
Honestly, despite relatively recent conservation work, he doesn't - far from it. Unfortunately, it would probably be best - and more respectful - to cremate the stuffed remains and let them join the skeleton in the grave, much like Traveler's bones.

The removal of Jackson's statue is superficial dog drival.....most of the cadets there still hold Jackson dear regardless of the feckless poli-correct crowd and the traitor Governor.

Like I said on other threads. I hate when current affairs meddles with history. Whatever your political affiliation or inclination the past should be preserved. I was very politically minded one time but don’t bother anymore. I find it a divisive arena and I’m at the stage that I try my best to get along with my fellow man/woman and find the middle ground. The ACW is a part of the American story in my book and every aspect good, bad etc should be preserved for future generations. This generation shouldn’t bury the past because it panders to a certain cohort . That’s my two certs for what it is worth.

Last edited:
I'm glad that I was there when the Jackson statue still stood.
DSC_3558_copy_2070x2760.jpg

Without any doubt VMI and Jackson are inseparable. Whoever resented his presence there should have chosen another place to enroll.
Honestly, despite relatively recent conservation work, he doesn't - far from it. Unfortunately, it would probably be best - and more respectful - to cremate the stuffed remains and let them join the skeleton in the grave, much like Traveler's bones.
As for Little Sorrel - I do agree very much, James.
Jackson's faithful companion deserves to rest in peace and not become fodder for moths....
DSC_3552_copy_2992x1683.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad that I was there when the Jackson statue still stood.
View attachment 405307
Without any doubt VMI and Jackson inseparable. Whoever resented his presence there should have chosen another place to enroll.

As for Little Sorrel - I do agree very much, James.
Jackson's faithful companion deserves to rest in peace and not become fodder for moths....
View attachment 405308
I think we were there on the same day. I definitely remember us running into each other at the Lee Chapel (I refuse to use the new name) and leaving a penny for his horse.

I read an article the other day in the paper about a school district in New Jersey that's eliminated all holiday names - because they were contentious and upset people in their opinion - and now just calls them all "day off." It's theater of the absurd.

This post had inspired me to make a painting of little sorrel! Curious if anyone knows who would hold the general's horse when he was scouting the enemy, or when he returned to headquarters? Would it be an enlisted man? Junior officer on his staff?

I'd like to have the painting to be horse-centric with a groom or soldier holding the horse.

Thx

Back