Lemat In Case

kenysd

Private
I had to do a case too....fun project. Ken

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0387 (2).jpg

Great Job and looks like a fun project.

How many Le Mats were made in the South and how many were imported from Belgium?.

And was the mini shotgun ever used effectively?.

Sorry bit of a novice when it comes to firearms but this pistol has fascinated me over the years?.

Very handsome. Now that is what I would describe as an English style case, with the straight edged compartments, rather than a European style which would have depressions made to exactly match the size and shape of the gun and accoutrements. Which style do American case makers generally favour ?

This is a photo of a well known cased LeMat; First model, made in Paris, as was the case.

A very few early examples were made by John Krider, Philadelphia, including the few prototypes used in testing by LeMat and his partner Beauregard in New Orleans. Upon dissolution of the partnership production was shifted to Charles Girard, Paris,, LeMats' new partner.

They contracted with the CS War Dept. to produce 5000 revolvers and a second contract for the Navy to produce 3000. These were to be made in a new factory in Paris. Also made in Paris were the "Baby" LeMat revolver and the carbine version, with production around 100 of each.

Extant records indicate that only about 900 were delivered to the CS Army and 600 to the Navy. Others which had the London address being produced by Tipping & Lawden's factory in Birmingham, but none have been identified as received into the CSA.

20200829_090159_resized (2).jpg

Photo from North South Trader Oct. 2020 issue

That's very nice. Did you find a general plan somewhere and adapt it to your revolver, or did you just draw your compartments and start building an appropriately-sized box?

DGW case for the 1860 army. I did not use the LeMat case they sell. I gutted it and then fit it English style to the gun.
the label is the English label. took some liberties.
the lining is Maroon felt, and glued to wood inserts. I've used the method before and it looks great. . Here are some others. Ken
DSC02823.JPG
Colt percussion  prresentation 2 gun , picture.JPG

the french flintlock box I found in an antique shop, it was some kind of gun box I'm sure, but it had been gutted. I re did it.
the Colts are Colts 1970S unfired reissues, all with the original markings etc. really fine guns. I made the mahogany box.
I did my Shiloh Sharps too, but that's for another day. Ken

Back