Lanyard Puller was right!

OldSarge79

Sergeant
As we all know, @Lanyard Puller's motto is, "Your first purchase should be reference books." I have long shied away from expensive reference books but with L.P.'s motto in mind, I shelled out a good amount at the Doswell show last month for a copy of Confederate Rifles & Muskets by Murphy and Madaus. I had a dream that maybe, just maybe one day I would stumble across a rare Confederate rifle in the wild (at a pawn shop or estate sale, etc.) that no one knew what it was...except, armed with my book, me.

Be careful what you dream of, it might come true.

Last week, I was in a local establishment to rent some equipment, and walking toward the desk, an old rifle laying on a sofa caught my eye. It was missing a lot of major parts, and I had no idea what it was, but it was going to be put up for sale soon. They didn't know what it was either, but I strongly suspected that it was Confederate, so when I got home, pulled out my expensive reference book. It wasn't five minutes before I found it.

I made a very modest offer and yesterday morning, I brought my Clapp, Gates & Co. (North Carolina) Confederate rifle home, or at least what's left of it.

It appears to be a transitional Type II - III model, .50 caliber with 36 inch barrel, 2nd type bayonet lug and brass Enfield-type washers opposite the lock. As can be seen, it consists of only the stock, which is in pretty good condition, barrel, ramrod, nose cap and washers. Workmanship is not great, and the stock is made of substandard walnut. There is a crack behind the barrel, with a nice period repair using a pin. This could be one that was rejected for military use.

The only mark I can find is a "P" on the top of the breech, and maybe a small, faint few letters on the flat opposite the lock. Not sure about those, though.

That expensive reference book has already paid for itself....many times over.

Anyone have a spare Clapp lock, butt plate or trigger guard laying around?

Clapp 10.JPG

clapp 3.JPG

clapp 1.JPG

clapp 4.JPG

Clapp 5.JPG

Clapp 6.JPG

Clapp 9.JPG

Clapp 13.JPG

Clapp 14.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats. I just hope you have the years left to find the missing pieces. BTW LP is always right.

As we all know, @Lanyard Puller's motto is, "Your first purchase should be reference books." I have long shied away from expensive reference books but with L.P.'s motto in mind, I shelled out a good amount at the Doswell show last month for a copy of Confederate Rifles & Muskets by Murphy and Madaus. I had a dream that maybe, just maybe one day I would stumble across a rare Confederate rifle in the wild (at a pawn shop or estate sale, etc.) that no one knew what it was...except, armed with my book, me.

Be careful what you dream of, it might come true.

Last week, I was in a local establishment to rent some equipment, and walking toward the desk, an old rifle laying on a sofa caught my eye. It was missing a lot of major parts, and I had no idea what it was, but it was going to be put up for sale soon. They didn't know what it was either, but I strongly suspected that it was Confederate, so when I got home, pulled out my expensive reference book. It wasn't five minutes before I found it.

I made a very modest offer and yesterday morning, I brought my Clapp, Gates & Co. (North Carolina) Confederate rifle home, or at least what's left of it.

It appears to be a transitional Type II - III model, .50 caliber with 36 inch barrel, 2nd type bayonet lug and brass Enfield-type washers opposite the lock. As can be seen, it consists of only the stock, which is in pretty good condition, barrel, ramrod, nose cap and washers. Workmanship is not great, and the stock is made of substandard walnut. There is a crack behind the barrel, with a nice period repair using a pin. This could be one that was rejected for military use.

The only mark I can find is a "P" on the top of the breech, and maybe a small, faint few letters on the flat opposite the lock. Not sure about those, though.

That expensive reference book has already paid for itself....many times over.

Anyone have a spare Clapp lock, butt plate or trigger guard laying around?

View attachment 412696

View attachment 412697

View attachment 412698

View attachment 412700

View attachment 412701

View attachment 412702

View attachment 412703

View attachment 412704

View attachment 412705
Congratulations, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! We'll all be on the lookout for the parts.........

Add a zero or two to the value if you find the missing parts.

I still have at least a little hope that the previous owner will come up with them, but not much.

I would imagine that they are on somebody's old homemade squirrel gun hanging over a fireplace somewhere, probably in this part on North Carolina. Maybe I could put an add in the local paper...."If you have an old squirrel gun, call me."

Congratulations, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! We'll all be on the lookout for the parts.........
Thanks. I think a finder's fee would be in order.

I remember the high-five you gave me at the show when I bought the book. I was expecting L.P. to put his hand on my shoulder and tell me something like, "I'm proud of you my son." Instead, he just gave me a look that said, "It's about time!"

Thanks. I think a finder's fee would be in order.

I remember the high-five you gave me at the show when I bought the book. I was expecting L.P. to put his hand on my shoulder and tell me something like, "I'm proud of you my son." Instead, he just gave me a look that said, "It's about time!"
At least you expect to be called "son".....LP calls me "young grasshopper" (remember the David Caradine TV show Kung Fu).....BAHAHA!!!! :rofl:

I don't care what he calls me as long as he is trying to teach me based on his vast knowledge and experience. By the way, the Forum moderator should upgrade LP's rank from a mere "Sargeant".

EDIT: ya, ya, laugh it up OldSarge79! 🙄...🤣

Last edited:
Most likely initials, but too far gone to make them out. Four vertical lines, well spaced, across the grain are highly unlikely I copied your photo and "worked" on it as best I could, but couldn't clarify it enough to make anything 100% certain.

How did the quest for the lock plate go? :smile coffee:

I'll try some more photos from different angles whenever the sun comes out again. Ida is passing overhead as we speak.

I'm waiting for info from the previous owner as to her ancestry. Could be a very worthwhile line of research in relation to these marks. No luck either on finding the parts around the house. All she found was a French bayonet.

No reply yet about the lock plate.

Well, I've been in touch with owner of the lock plate.
We each wanted to buy what the other has, and neither of us is interested in selling. Wouldn't ya know it. :nah disagree:

So, a lock plate is still on my list.

I'll post a WTB on the Sutlers and Soldiers classifieds. Who knows what might be hanging around out there.

Back