Jubal Early

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Does anyone know if any company has ever made a 1/32 Jubal Early toy soldier. I took a photo of his house last year and was thinking about putting together a diorama with his house as the background. However, I can't find him anywhere. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_2488_edited.jpg

IMG_2489_edited.jpg

IMG_2490_edited.jpg

Military Miniatures Warehouse has one in 54mm, which is approximately 1/32, for $10.00--unpainted of course. They also have many other CW "Personaliy" figures, although I can't vouch for their quality in casting and likeness to the person they represent. a link to their website--> http://www.milminwh.com/index.htm
View attachment 367071
Thanks for the link. I will check it out. The only problem is that I am not a painter. I tried and you can see the results in the attached photo.

Jubal.jpg

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. The only problem is that I am not a painter. I tried and you can see the results in the attached photo.

View attachment 367127
Is Early the real founder of the LOST CAUSE movement? I know that there were several generals he did not like except for himself.What was his reason for creating this movement,lost in the Glory Days or just needed the attention?If you were to rate him among Confederate generals,last being already tie between Bragg and Hood,where would he fit?

Is Early the real founder of the LOST CAUSE movement? I know that there were several generals he did not like except for himself.What was his reason for creating this movement,lost in the Glory Days or just needed the attention?If you were to rate him among Confederate generals,last being already tie between Bragg and Hood,where would he fit?
Early never led as many troops as the other two mentioned. I have heard both good and bad about him, but his department orders were met without shirking from responsibility. I think he rates better than the other two, and if I had to be led I would much rather fight behind one that strongly defends his convictions than cloudy judgement that hampers mental proficiency.
Lubliner.

John, Dave's looking for answers, so I'm not going to derail it by going into the Lost Cause. But Early did lead "The Army Of The Valley" and forced David Hunter into West Va, and then Early went on to Washington. No small task. But same as Bragg, and Hood, all generals have good and bad days.

Early was loyal to Lee and a very capable subordinate. We all know his record. And as the founder of the Lost Cause movement, which I totally and 100% agree with, he was a wonderful author and writer. The people of his era - the ones who should know better than anyone else, also believed him and felt that what he said was true.

At this point I’ll wade in with a gentle reminder that the emphasis in ‘Games & Miniatures’ is recreation, both in the sense of representation of military history and as fun. This is not meant to squelch discussion or pretend we all don’t have our various convictions about this part of our national story - but there are plenty of CWT places where that can happen. :smile:
With much appreciation for @Stone in the wall post #7, I agree that in this thread Jubal Early should be considered the subject of a search for a suitable diorama figure and wish Virginia Dave happy hunting. (I was poking around myself yesterday - it’s a tough one!)

Actually, Early did not originate or create the Lost Cause movement. The term was coined by Edward Pollard, the editor of the Richmond Examiner and the "movement" was not so much a dedicated organization but a series of beliefs that were held by many southern political and military leaders that coalesced into what became the narrative of the Lost Cause. Early was of course, a major advocate of promoting that narrative.

From what I read so far he was cantankerous, foul mouthed, irreverent, but a good attorney and considered by Lee to be a competent general, however, he could not let go of the past and a bad idea. Oh I forgot to mention he is a distant relative. Most of my folks are from Henry, Frankilin, Carroll or Grayson, Patrick and Smith Counties. Glad I didn't inherit any of his bad characteristics. LOL

Last edited:
That would be my wife, and I am not sure how she would feel about painting my "toys". Never hurts to ask though. Maybe a good shot of an adult beverage would steady my hand? What do you think.

I don't have the "shakes," but when I paint I brace both the figure and my hand to avoid any extra hand movement. Maybe give that a try. And after years of putting make up on, I would think your wife could apply a little 'lip stick'' to the General.

I don't have the "shakes," but when I paint I brace both the figure and my hand to avoid any extra hand movement. Maybe give that a try. And after years of putting make up on, I would think your wife could apply a little 'lip stick'' to the General.
She is a natural Irish beauty. My pet name for her is my Wild Irish Rose. She doesn't wear makeup except a little lip gloss on occasion. But she does have a steady hand. I will see if I can bribe her.

Back