Jenks Carbine Ammo

whitneyrifle

Private
Joined
Nov 7, 2024
So, I have a Jenks carbine coming from a private dealer. It has the milled out loading chamber for a paper cartridge. I have a .535 minie mould and a .535 round ball mould. Looking over several forums. I tried out a method for making a paper cartridge.
I am not going for authentic, I am going for functional. This is a .535 round ball in hair curler paper with 46 grains of 3F. Then dipped the ball in lube.
The end is just a double fold over. Once downward and once in on itself.
Hoping the cartridge works. I plan, if ignition is not consistent, to nitrate the paper first, then repeat the load process.

IMG_9715.webp
 
You might want to try making cartridges similar to a Merrill carbine. The loading process of these firearms is very similar. Cap and ball has a great video on making Merrill cartridges. It is part 1 of 2 of his Merrill series.

Hope this may help you.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top