J.W. Gray

Found a headstone of J.W. Gray, Company I, Hawthorne's Arkansas Infantry. What can you tell me about him and the regiment?

Couldn't find much

This regiment was known successively as Johnson's, Hawthorn's, Polk's and Cocke's Regiment of Arkansas Infantry. Also sometimes known as the 39th Regiment. Needless to say, they've presented a problem over the years trying to research them.

Company I : Organized at Rockport, Hot Spring County, June 9, 1862., by combining Co's C & I.

GRAY, J.W. Pvt Enlisted 9 Jun 1862 at Rockport, AR. Detached service 9 Mar 1863 to QM Dept Little Rock, AR. Captured 4 Jul 1863 at Helena, AR. (probably more info at fold 3.

150px-Alexander_Travis_Hawthorn.jpg

Alexander Hawthorne : Veteran of Shiloh. Commanded the Regiment at Prairie Grove, Helena, and Little Rock.
 
Last edited:
Found a headstone of J.W. Gray, Company I, Hawthorne's Arkansas Infantry. What can you tell me about him and the regiment?

Another soldier of Company I :

P987400.gif


Enlisted at Carroll County, AR as a Private Born in Tennessee 6/28/1836. Died 3/24/1910, Crane, Missouri

His brief record says he "Died 25, Nov 1862 at Ft Smith, AR". ??? This is obviously a post-war photo, from Confederate Veteran.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top