Interesting find!

Twlunt

Private
E4B8E325-BD21-4CE4-8093-E20D9F48C8AC.jpeg
EC141E00-2C6D-4656-809C-DA4A4CBDFFDE.jpeg

i have been researching my great great grandfather, Ira Lunt. He was a private in the 2nd Regmt Company D US Sharpshooters of Maine. This photo was sent to me from the Berdan Sharpshooters site in DC showing him attending a spirited meeting in Boston. The various post war organizations were quarreling over who should be the official organization. He was very active in the GAR.
They gave me permission to use the image freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo. I can't wait to see whats at the bottom of that box of stuff you got.

View attachment 165004View attachment 165005
i have been researching my great great grandfather, Ira Lunt. He was a private in the 2nd Regmt Company D US Sharpshooters of Maine. This photo was sent to me from the Berdan Sharpshooters site in DC showing him attending a spirited meeting in Boston. The various post war organizations were quarreling over who should be the official organization. He was very active in the GAR.
They gave me permission to use the image freely.

Fascinating info , thanks for sharing !!!

Here's a couple of your ancestor's comrades of Company D.

P1795698.gif

Charles B. Bridgham enlisted as a musician 11/9/1861.

He was later a surgeon with the 54th MA.

P2331864.gif

James Deering Fessenden
Captain of Company D until 7/16/1862. Discharged for promotion :

Promotions:
* Colonel 7/16/1862 (Colonel & Asst Aide-de-Camp)
* Brig-General 8/8/1864
* Major-Gen 3/13/1865 by Brevet

@ucvrelics.com I was thinking the exact same thing!

Check with them and see if they have a list of all the member in the order in the photo. A lot of time its written on the back. I'm VERY curious now as to who he is.

Wonderful photo. If only to be able to sit on the porch and listen to the stories

Oh Yea, but I think with a little research on these guys we might still be able to hear a few. Especially this guy. I'm really curious about this guy for some reason. He is obviously not of the same means as the rest of the boys. Just looks like a Yankee version of Ernest T Bass.
beardenSS.jpeg

Back