What is this? Help with sword identification please!

Owen James

Cadet
Hi folks, I'm new to this but been interested in ACW for a few years. I'm from UK but our own civil war is boring ancient history to me! Was recently gifted this sword from one of my wife's relatives.

First question is obviously: "is this genuine or a repro?"

Secondly, what can I learn from the markings? All I can make out is "US 1865 AGM" on one side, and "CROBY W. Chelmsford Mass." on the other (I think, it's almost too rusted and tarnished to make out). Appear to be no further markings at all on the outer cover (sheath?) or handle.

Thirdly, any tips on cleaning etc, or should I leave it?

No doubt these questions have been asked before so apologies if this is all very obvious! Thanks in advance.

Owen.
IMG_3224.JPG

Welcome to the group from middle Alabama, it's good to have you join us and from your description I would lean to it being genuine; but our sword experts should be along shortly- also any pictures that you could post would be extremely helpful. And in my mind, the only bad question is one that is not asked.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. It is indeed the real McCoy. Roby produced 32,200 M1860 cavalry sabers (dated 1861,63,64, and 65) There should be be inspectors marks on the pommel as well. As far as cleaning it doesn't look that bad to me based on the one photo so I would leave it as is.
1567005768239.png

1567005719943.png

Thanks ucvrelics that's great to hear! The markings on mine are exactly as yours pictured but can't see anything else on the pommel, perhaps metal has degraded too much...

Thanks ucvrelics that's great to hear! The markings on mine are exactly as yours pictured but can't see anything else on the pommel, perhaps metal has degraded too much...
Sometimes they were not pommel marked. Also, look on the scabbard drag and see if there are any markings.

Hello,
Just joined civilwartalk today. I have about 9 swords and have identified most of them. But this one has me stumped. Anyone ever seen this sword? It doesn't have any identifiable markings on the ricasso or elsewhere.
27-1.jpg
27-2.jpg
27-5.jpg
27-6.jpg

Hi folks, I'm new to this but been interested in ACW for a few years. I'm from UK but our own civil war is boring ancient history to me! Was recently gifted this sword from one of my wife's relatives.

Secondly, what can I learn from the markings? All I can make out is "US 1865 AGM" on one side, and "CROBY W. Chelmsford Mass." on the other (I think, it's almost too rusted and tarnished to make out). Appear to be no further markings at all on the outer cover (sheath?) or handle.

No doubt these questions have been asked before so apologies if this is all very obvious! Thanks in advance.

Owen.View attachment 322990
Welcome, enjoy

Owen.View attachment 322990
Not much needs to be done other than to get rid of the active rust you can do this with some light oil and 0000 gauge steel wool. If you don't get rid of the active rust, it will eventually destroy the metal.

Hello,
Just joined civilwartalk today. I have about 9 swords and have identified most of them. But this one has me stumped. Anyone ever seen this sword? It doesn't have any identifiable markings on the ricasso or elsewhere.
View attachment 336562View attachment 336563View attachment 336564View attachment 336565
Welcome aboard

I have seen more than one of these and I am pretty sure it is more of a tourista faux military for se Asia. IIRC, the last one was listed as Sri Lanka/Ceylonese Air Force or some such nonsense. Look up kastane

Cheers
GC

Back