Help with Notated Record at Fold 3?

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Does anyone know how to locate the information noted on carded records at Fold 3? This one has me interested and I would like to locate the information, however brief, that is referenced on this card. This card is page 35 of the records for James S Gholston 16th Georgia Infantry.

How would I locate the R. E. Lee file #2038? I've already looked in Lee's file under officers at Fold 3 but there is nothing that matches in there. Any help appreciated. @AndyHall @bdtex @7th Mississippi Infantry @huskerblitz @Stony do any of yall know?

upload_2017-7-8_23-38-55.png

Thanks so much! Any help appreciated! Im not having any luck with finding it :nah disagree:

The notes on the cards fall into at least three categories. First, many refer to the Secretary of War Letters Received records. Second, there are references to collections that exist but no longer bear the name given (ie "RR Papers" refers to files still available with a slightly different name). Third, many of the "Files" or "Papers" appear to have been broken up and the documents placed in the records of the various officers (ie a letter to Beauregard is listed in the "Beauregard Papers" but is now found in the record of the officer who wrote the letter). I suspect most of the "Lee File" has been broken up and refiled.

Even after accounting for the above three categories, there appear to be documents missing. I have seen references to vouchers where the document is not in any file of the person receiving the payment and not in any file of the person paying the voucher.

Thanks @DaveBrt I really appreciate your weighing in. I had forgotten that you know people in high places :D or I would have tagged you in the inquiry. Any idea of how to go about obtaining the record if it is available?

Thanks @DaveBrt I really appreciate your weighing in. I had forgotten that you know people in high places :D or I would have tagged you in the inquiry. Any idea of how to go about obtaining the record if it is available?
I am unable to find your July 20, 1861 document in the places I have access to. I have to admit to being puzzled why a Georgia Captain would be writing to the Commander of Forces in Virginia the day before First Manassas. Perhaps the document is now with that battle's papers. Gen. Lee's outgoing letters for the next week after the 20th are all related to major events and concerns -- there is not a Captain even mentioned in them.

What was you man's unit doing the day or two before the letter? Perhaps they had gone through Richmond and he was reporting on some incident that happened in the city.

BTW, I saw three minor documents for your man in the Confederate Service Records, Miscellaneous (Fold3), in case you have not seen them.

I am unable to find your July 20, 1861 document in the places I have access to. I have to admit to being puzzled why a Georgia Captain would be writing to the Commander of Forces in Virginia the day before First Manassas. Perhaps the document is now with that battle's papers. Gen. Lee's outgoing letters for the next week after the 20th are all related to major events and concerns -- there is not a Captain even mentioned in them.

What was you man's unit doing the day or two before the letter? Perhaps they had gone through Richmond and he was reporting on some incident that happened in the city.

BTW, I saw three minor documents for your man in the Confederate Service Records, Miscellaneous (Fold3), in case you have not seen them.
I believe the card indicates that Gen Lee was reporting on Captain Gholston's conduct?

The first volunteer companies that would be assigned to the 16th GA were just arriving in Richmond at that time. According to carded records, Gholston entered Confederate service on July 10, 1861 and was elected Captain the same day. His Company was the first of Cobb's to arrive in Richmond and was there by July 16, 1861 encamped at the Reservoir at the Old Fairgrounds.

He was promoted Maj, to Rank Feb 15 1862; captured at Gettysburg July 2; and imprisoned at Fort Delaware July 11 1863. He was forwarded to Johnson's Island in the charge of Lt Geo W Ahl July 18, 1863. (He was appointed Colonel Nov 29, 1863.) Sent to Fort Monroe Feb 6, 1864 and on to City Point Feb 17, 1864 by order of Genl Butler.

Feb 24, 1864 recorded at General Hospital No 4 Richmond with gunshot wound left thigh. Furloughed March 3, 1864. Recommended for retirement due to chronic bronchitis & chronic diarrhea. In Gen Hospital No 4 June 1 1864 with debilitas. Retired to Invalid Corps Aug 24, 1864. Pledged the Oath at Athens Ga May 8 1865.

I believe the card indicates that Gen Lee was reporting on Captain Gholston's conduct?

The first volunteer companies that would be assigned to the 16th GA were just arriving in Richmond at that time. According to carded records, Gholston entered Confederate service on July 10, 1861 and was elected Captain the same day. His Company was the first of Cobb's to arrive in Richmond and was there by July 16, 1861 encamped at the Reservoir at the Old Fairgrounds.

He was promoted Maj, to Rank Feb 15 1862; captured at Gettysburg July 2; and imprisoned at Fort Delaware July 11 1863. He was forwarded to Johnson's Island in the charge of Lt Geo W Ahl July 18, 1863. (He was appointed Colonel Nov 29, 1863.) Sent to Fort Monroe Feb 6, 1864 and on to City Point Feb 17, 1864 by order of Genl Butler.

Feb 24, 1864 recorded at General Hospital No 4 Richmond with gunshot wound left thigh. Furloughed March 3, 1864. Recommended for retirement due to chronic bronchitis & chronic diarrhea. In Gen Hospital No 4 June 1 1864 with debilitas. Retired to Invalid Corps Aug 24, 1864. Pledged the Oath at Athens Ga May 8 1865.
So we still have the question of why Lee was taking the time to write something about a new Captain of a newly arrived company. As I mentioned, there is nothing in the Outgoing Letters ledger of Lee's Virginia Forces (and others) headquarters.

Laura,
I dont know if anything from before the war may have been considered in this. But the following is from Ancestry about Gholston a year earlier ???????

• Divorced: Y 1860
  • Married: 29 Apr 1858 in Madison County, Georgia 24
  • Event: Court 1860 in Madison County, Georgia
  • Note: James was found not guilty of wife-whipping [second wife Jane] in 1860. 25
  • Divorced: 1860 in Madison County, Georgia
  • Note:From Tabor's History of Madison County, Georgia, pg 139:

"One of the most involved divorces [in Madison Co] was between Jane and James S. Gholston. Jane was a widow, a Mrs. Harris, with considerable property taken over by her new husband. James S. Gholston was a prominent citizen, a Justice of the Inferior Court, a member of the Convention for Secession, Captain of the Madison County Greys, the first volunteers from the County in the Civil War. The two did not get along well. Jane Gholston was given a divorce in 1860 and granted $5000. In September 1865 James S. Gholston petitioned for a reduction in alimony which was granted. When the reduced amounts were not paid regularly, the case was taken to the Supreme Court where Jane won, getting the land and mill she owned prior to marriage. This property had been sold or mortgaged by James S. Gholston. Another appeal to the Supreme Court was favorable to Jane Gholston. No record of James S. Gholston has been found after 1870 and no person interviewed in Madison County had any knowledge about him."

When confronted with similar notes on ancestors, what I did was write or e-mail NARA and give them all the microfilm IDs as to Roll, etc. Then I add that there is a note to see....[whatever]. It's worked. I believe in most cases they considered I had already paid for the search, assuming I used them in the first place.

When confronted with similar notes on ancestors, what I did was write or e-mail NARA and give them all the microfilm IDs as to Roll, etc. Then I add that there is a note to see....[whatever]. It's worked. I believe in most cases they considered I had already paid for the search, assuming I used them in the first place.
Thanks @TerryB I dont mind paying for it at all. I went to the page to try and access a "contact us" form, but all I can find is the online order for compiled service records. Since I dont need his service record - just a document referenced in his service records - I cant figure out how to get through the prepopulated forms. Can you help me navigate the site?

View attachment 148279
The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies
by
United States. War Dept;
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924079575274#page/n1029/mode/2up/search/Gholston

Thanks @Mike Serpa !

So when he was sent from Fortress Monroe to City Point, Gholston was exchanged for Maj A B Wade of the 73rd Indiana?

Back