Help with Notated Record at Fold 3?

So when he was sent from Fortress Monroe to City Point, Gholston was exchanged for Maj A B Wade of the 73rd Indiana?

Gholston for Wade. (And a second round draft pick!)
:nah disagree: :rofl::rofl::rofl::nah disagree:

Wade had been captured by "that guy" during Streight's Raid ......not far from my house! Wade was appointed Col to replace Col Gilbert Hathaway who was killed at the Blount Plantation.

"In April 1863 the 73rd was assigned to Colonel A. D. Streight's Independent Provisional Brigade, which had the mission of penetrating the enemy's territory and cutting his communications. Embarking at Nashville, the regiment sailed down the Cumberland and up the Tennessee, landing at Eastport, Mississippi. From 30 April to 2 May they were in heavy engagements at Day's Gap, Crooked Creek, and Blount's Farm, all in Alabama. Colonel Hathaway was killed at this last engagement, and five days later Colonel Streight himself surrendered. The enlisted men in the regiment were soon paroled and returned to Nashville while the officers were sent to Confederate prison camps. [Wade was one of the officers sent to Libby Prison in Richmond arriving there May 16, 1863]

In March 1864, Major Alfred B. Wade, who had been recently released, assumed command.
In the spring of that year the regiment guarded the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad. In the following summer they were on picket duty along the Tennessee River, with headquarters at Triana. In September they were ordered to Decatur, Alabama, where they held off an attack on 1 October. On 26 October Hood with 35,000 men besieged Decatur, but was held off. In the winter of 1864-1865 the 73rd moved to Stevenson, Alabama, then to Huntsville, then to guard the Mobile and Charleston Railroad with headquarters at Larkinsville. In the summer of 1865 the regiment was mustered out at Nashville." http://www.indianahistory.org/our-c...rd-indiana-infantry-letter-book-1862-1867.pdf

Last edited:
I only mention it because Davis may have had him evaluating troops or some such.
Too bad there's not more detail, but I did find this:
Chronology: Robert E. Lee Timeline

March 1. Returned to Arlington to his family.
March 16. Appointed Colonel of First Cavalry.
April 16. Offered command of United States Armies.
April 20. Resigned commission in army.
April 23. Accepted command of Virginia forces.
May – July. Organized troops and advised President Davis in Richmond.
August – October. Was in charge of abortive campaign in Western Virginia.
November. Had charge of coast defense in South Carolina and Georgia.
http://www.stratfordhall.org/meet-the-lee-family/general-robert-e-lee-1807-1870/chronology/

And this: "The Provisional Congress of the Confederate States of America met for the first time in the Capitol on July 20, 1861...."

Thanks @TerryB I dont mind paying for it at all. I went to the page to try and access a "contact us" form, but all I can find is the online order for compiled service records. Since I dont need his service record - just a document referenced in his service records - I cant figure out how to get through the prepopulated forms. Can you help me navigate the site?

Thanks @Mike Serpa !

So when he was sent from Fortress Monroe to City Point, Gholston was exchanged for Maj A B Wade of the 73rd Indiana?
The original card containing the note is what you want to reference. It's going to have some Microfilm #s, for the Roll of film, etc. When you send in the search form, which I think you have to order by e-mail (Form # 86 or something like that), you fill in the Microfilm info of the note or the card that the note is on. Then add that it is referencing that # that says it's a letter from Gen. Lee. I'd also tell them you're not interested in the CSR, just the letter from Lee.

Too bad there's not more detail, but I did find this:
Chronology: Robert E. Lee Timeline

March 1. Returned to Arlington to his family.
March 16. Appointed Colonel of First Cavalry.
April 16. Offered command of United States Armies.
April 20. Resigned commission in army.
April 23. Accepted command of Virginia forces.
May – July. Organized troops and advised President Davis in Richmond.
August – October. Was in charge of abortive campaign in Western Virginia.
November. Had charge of coast defense in South Carolina and Georgia.
http://www.stratfordhall.org/meet-the-lee-family/general-robert-e-lee-1807-1870/chronology/

And this: "The Provisional Congress of the Confederate States of America met for the first time in the Capitol on July 20, 1861...."
Thats great! :thumbsup:

What was Lee's position in the Confederacy at this time?
I think he was a full general, but didn't he serve over in the West Virginia area in 61? He wasn't put into the position that made him famous until the summer of 62.
He was in Richmond serving as Davis' military advisor and was left "minding the store" on July 21 when Davis entrained for the front, arriving just in time to witness part of the Federal rout. Of course this was why Lee missed the battle altogether.

Does anyone know how to locate the information noted on carded records at Fold 3? This one has me interested and I would like to locate the information, however brief, that is referenced on this card. This card is page 35 of the records for James S Gholston 16th Georgia Infantry.

How would I locate the R. E. Lee file #2038? I've already looked in Lee's file under officers at Fold 3 but there is nothing that matches in there. Any help appreciated. @AndyHall @bdtex @7th Mississippi Infantry @huskerblitz @Stony do any of yall know?

View attachment 147883
@lelliott19. If you go into the backside and look close near the bottom of the movement frame plate facing you, it should have a makers name, and some numbers, which will allow us to narrow it all down much more accurately.. Also any markings on the inside of the rear door?

Interesting story but maybe @east tennessee roots can help?

Ok, so no news yet. I did get the suggested file, but the record had nothing to do with him. So I'll need to go back and ask her for another suggestion. She had thought that maybe it was referring to the miscellaneous manuscript files for the Confederacy. Looks like we need to come up with another idea though. I'll keep you posted.

My latest update from the National Archives: After the file that the archivist suggested turned up nothing, I went back the next day to see if she had any other ideas. Turns out that she started her vacation that day.... so I wasn't able to talk to her again. I asked the other archivist on duty, but she didn't know for sure what that was referring to either. She referred me to this link from Fold3, which you may have seen already: https://www.fold3.com/image/249/32880637

There are other Gholstons in there too.

The archivist on vacation would be the one that I would want to talk to again, because she has a lot of knowledge on Confederate records. I make trips to the National Archives about once a month, so I can check in with her again when I go back.

--Brian

I was at NARA last week again and searched for this again. No luck... I talked to the archivist that probably knows the most about Confederate records. She thought maybe it was from the Letters Received by the Confederate Secretary of War. I checked the microfilmed copies of these for file number 2038, but the papers there had nothing to do with James Gholston. So that doesn't appear to be it either.

The thing is, though, is that the papers filed around file 2038 were all filed in the spring or summer of 1861, just like your file was. So I was optimistic that #2038 would be the answer to what you were looking for. It seemed to line up pretty good. I'm wondering now if I was looking at the correct record group, but maybe it was noted wrong on your card? Maybe it wasn't actually #2038. If so, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find that.

I don't know if the archivist would have any other ideas for what this could be.

For future reference, that was microfilm publication M437 I looked at.

--Brian

Back