Help Me Identify This Sword

Good Morning Everyone,

Knowing I have always been intrigued by the American Civil War and the Union Army, my wife purchased this Model 1840 NCO Sword upon my promotion to Sergeant in the US Army. It came with its leather scabbard, which is in a somewhat delicate condition. Could any experts give me a general backstory on my sword? Was it used in the war, was it refurbished at one point ect.

Thank you!

received_617351922612110.jpeg

received_424302909067045.jpeg

received_4730833566948459.jpeg

Good Morning Everyone,

Knowing I have always been intrigued by the American Civil War and the Union Army, my wife purchased this Model 1840 NCO Sword upon my promotion to Sergeant in the US Army. It came with its leather scabbard, which is in a somewhat delicate condition. Could any experts give me a general backstory on my sword? Was it used in the war, was it refurbished at one point ect.

Thank you!

View attachment 419854

View attachment 419855

View attachment 419856
It is a Civil War era Model 1840 NCO sword made by the Roby company for a contract with the U. S. government. One side has a partial circular Roby maker mark that would say "C. ROBY. / W. CHELMSFORD MS". Here is the mark on my example, but on mine part of the mark is hidden by the hilt.
20211028_150925.jpg

The other side has a partial date stamp and parts of the letters F.S.S. for Frederick S. Strong, the government inspector. He inspected the Roby swords in 1862 and 1863. Again, here's the marks on my sword.
20211028_151013.jpg

Bummer us NCOs got issued or had to carry that wimpy sword. Officers always get the nice big swords :cry: :cry: :cry: 😭 😭 😭 Actually I got a Collins Hartford, CT NCO sword dated 1862. Shame your blade marking are not clear but what do Wives know! Trade up to get one with better blade markings or just keep it if you think the Wife will get upset if you exchange it since it was a gift from her! :smile coffee: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you!

View attachment 419854

View attachment 419855

View attachment 419856
Nice looking old war horse. Try a little baby powder on the date to see if that will bring out the last number or try a pencil rub on a piece of thin paper. Roby had a contract 12,500 M1840 NCO swords (dated 1862-65), and an unknown number of M1840 light artillery sabers. Except for the first sabers sold in 1861, Roby's marks generally followed two forms. The NCO, musician, and rarely cavalry swords had a circular mark made up of the words C. Roby W. Chelmsford MS, while the cavalry and artillery sabers had a linear C. Roby over a half-circular W. Chelmsford and a linear Mass. The 1865 dated swords were not delivered until after the cessation of hostilities, and therefore never saw active duty during the war. The Roby Company went bankrupt and sold its name and equipment shortly after the war.

Back