Help Identify -- Any ideas???

Joined
Feb 17, 2013
I bought this photo at a garage sale. I thought it was cool, and looked very old - it looks to me like Civil War soldiers. I took the back off the frame, and its the original photo. Any ideas on who these soldiers are, and period/location of the photo? Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • Civil War.jpg
    Civil War.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 217
Grand Army of the Republic members from the inverted star medals on their coats. From their ages I put it as post 1880 and closer to 1890. The broad-brimmed hats might not be a clue since these were more stylish than a forage cap. I don't see any corps badges.
 
Definitely GAR, and likely post-1890. He's the image with some of the distortion corrected. Note the stand of arms, left and right, the one on the right with a bugle on a bayonet:

Expired Image Removed
 
rootedinhistory....if you live somewhere there might have been a large GAR group in the late 1800's, I would take it down to the local historical society or library and see if there's an existing copy. The house in the background could be a clue to a local historian, for sure.
 
I think it's a Union inf. Regt. Reunion. Note color bearer in back row flanked by color guards holding Springfields (?) rifles. Distortion blocks most of flag but defiantly stars & stripes.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top