Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers Help finding patterns.

Well, it depends on what you are making really. I’ve bought patterns from J&P also an old pattern produced by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Some of the more popular suttlers will point you off to sites that have good patterns. The thing you need to watch out for is some of these patterns do not come with very clear instructions. When I first started making period dress, I went to a website that gave reviews of the patterns ease of useage, along with noting issues..search for Great Pattern Review. It’s a searchable database.

Well, it depends on what you are making really. I’ve bought patterns from J&P also an old pattern produced by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Some of the more popular suttlers will point you off to sites that have good patterns. The thing you need to watch out for is some of these patterns do not come with very clear instructions. When I first started making period dress, I went to a website that gave reviews of the patterns ease of useage, along with noting issues..search for Great Pattern Review. It’s a searchable database.
Thank you!!!

You might also consider making your garments from a kit. Both Charlie Childs and Wambaugh & White make excellent kits. Start with something easier like a shirt or drawers before taking on a jacket or trousers.

After you get patterns/ideas, I suggest going to your local thrift store, buying up cotton sheets, and making a mock up of all your patterns BEFORE cutting into anything that cost more than 5.99 a yard. Saves so much grief down the road...

Just thought I'd pass that tip along again. :smile:
Making a muslin is a must, I feel when creating period dress. The fit and the way the pieces go together are very different from modern patterns.

After you get patterns/ideas, I suggest going to your local thrift store, buying up cotton sheets, and making a mock up of all your patterns BEFORE cutting into anything that cost more than 5.99 a yard. Saves so much grief down the road...

Just thought I'd pass that tip along again. :smile:

Making a muslin is a must, I feel when creating period dress. The fit and the way the pieces go together are very different from modern patterns.
Thank y'all!! That is a good idea.

Back