Muzzleldrs Help! Enfield 1862

Ccockrell

Cadet
I am an Estate Sale coordinator in Louisiana and a family has added this Tower 1862 Enfield musket at the last minute. When I took it to a modern arms appraiser, he wouldn’t appraise since he was unschooled in early weapons. When I mention it to collectors, they want to “help” me—not good. Can your kind group help me out as to what markings to look for and where to go to get a fair appraisal (willing to pay)
Thank you for any help you can give me ( if I sound desperate, I am). If this question is not allowed, please delete.

EACA04B6-8173-4225-AC94-4F87AE805AD4.jpeg

3CE52140-C51B-4CCB-828F-1B16C0D41DFF.jpeg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. We are going to need some more photos to include barrel marks at the breach end, any and all marks on the stock. Look under the stock above and below the trigger guard and are there any marking on the butt plate tang?

Ask the question on the North South Skirmish Association forum. We have a bunch of guys there who are extremely knowledgeable. A couple hang out here, maybe one will be along shortly.

Collectors are all obsessed with little markings in the wood and in the metal. You will need to looks this over carefully in good light and furnish either very clear descriptions of that you see and where, or better, photos of all marks you see on this.
Marks in wood are mostly found from the midsection (where the lock is) back to the bottom (butt) of the arm.
Look carefully, letting your source of light shine sideways across the wood toward your eye when you look for marks.

Back