Gettysburg revisited.

Beltplate53

Corporal
An update on the Gettysburg relic collection.
20190616_192443.jpg

Nice collection of Gburg items. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting. I am curious though. I didn’t think you could dig those battlefields? Or are they not part of a federal preserve? I know locally that you can’t dig or take any materials out of the state park.

Very interesting. I am curious though. I didn’t think you could dig those battlefields? Or are they not part of a federal preserve? I know locally that you can’t dig or take any materials out of the state park.
I have the same question @Mrs. V, so my impression was that these were dug long ago, and passed down through a few generations. Estate sales are a cause of letting go, many times, where another collector may come in and purchase something done before the law was instated. But I do not know for sure. Wild guess?
Lubliner.

Amazing. I always wonder what the pieces have seen and heard when I see anything like this. Cheers.

Yes, most relics that come out of Gettysburg were at one time in a collection that came from an old Gettysburg family.I say most because it is my understanding that there is still some private property around. There are a few who I trust when I pick up something to add to the collection. The Smalls who own The Horse Soldier are a great source as the items come with solid provenance. ( they are holding a Shenkl shell for me, as we speak, that was found on the Lady farm.) Union Drummer Boy is another good spot. As you might notice, I am partial to items that are identified from parts of the battlefield. I joined the Friends of Gettysburg and travel down at least three times a year. I've read most of the authoritative books on the battle and I'm getting ready to order Coddington's book. As I have retired from the military and teaching, I am now considering just moving down and becoming a permanent resident. It would save on all that driving and frankly is a place I could live out the rest of my days.

I have pieces of a Shenkl shell (I posted some pictures sometime ago) not from Gettysburg though.
I'm hoping to visit the US, for the first time, at some point, and Gettysburg is first on my bucket list of places to go! I imagine it's an expensive place to live, but would be awesome to live there and quality of life would be good. The countryside around there looks great. Good luck with your plans.

Back