Gettysburg 2016: After Action Reports

As I have not seen a photo of him, let me add this one of @theoldman (Ron) between me and Mike. It was so great meeting him there, in fact his greeting us at O'Rorke's on Thursday afternoon set the tone for the whole great weekend!
IMG_3696.JPG

And more 'shots' for your viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• WP_20160917_09_42_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_09_42_58_Pro.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 122
  • WP_20160917_10_15_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_15_50_Pro.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 140
  • WP_20160917_10_15_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_15_56_Pro.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 137
  • WP_20160917_10_19_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_19_50_Pro.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 137
  • WP_20160917_10_19_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_19_58_Pro.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 141
  • WP_20160917_10_20_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_20_59_Pro.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 139
  • WP_20160917_10_32_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_10_32_14_Pro.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 149
  • WP_20160917_11_05_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_11_05_15_Pro.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 130
Short question: has anybody NOT had his/her likeness taken with Genl. Longstreet and his pony.
Maybe I'll start a new thread, "Me and General Longstreet". Might be fun to see so many of us posing at that particular spot... not necessarily that weekend, but in general.

Edit: Did it!
Please add your photo of you and General Longstreet here:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/me-and-general-longstreet.127610/

Last edited:
Ewell
Allegheny Johnson
Richard Taylor

Did Taylor ever serve directly under Jackson? I think that as Brigadier he was under Ewell and when he got the promotion, he moved west.

Allegheny Johnson, never served under Jackson :smile: In the beginning of the War he was leading the Army of the Northwest that co-operated with Jackson in his Valley Campaign. Was wounded early in the Campaign and was in Richmond until after the reorganization of the Army when he moved under Ewell returning in action after the Gettysburg Campaign.

Good catch on Ewell, but it was a matter of time. I think that he spent something like 6 months or so under Jackson before he got hurt :wink:

View attachment 111097

And thanks also to @unionblue and Mr. And Mrs. @John Winn who were about the only persons with whom I had the opportunity to share my collection of tintypes, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes, thermoplastic cases, and CDV's. I had purposely selected this small table over to the side of the Jenny Wade Room so as not to detract from the actual sellers during the book signing but since I hadn't set up before the stated time at noon few seemed to notice.

Thanks for showing it to us. Really interesting !

Did Taylor ever serve directly under Jackson? I think that as Brigadier he was under Ewell and when he got the promotion, he moved west.

Allegheny Johnson, never served under Jackson :smile: In the beginning of the War he was leading the Army of the Northwest that co-operated with Jackson in his Valley Campaign. Was wounded early in the Campaign and was in Richmond until after the reorganization of the Army when he moved under Ewell returning in action after the Gettysburg Campaign.

Good catch on Ewell, but it was a matter of time. I think that he spent something like 6 months or so under Jackson before he got hurt :wink:

Johnson was under Jackson at McDowell, as Jackson was the commander of the Valley District, making Johnson one of Jackson's generals.

Taylor was under Ewell, who was under Jackson, making Taylor one of Jackson's generals.

I don't recall Taliaferro being arrested, and he served directly under Jackson.

I also don't think Charles Winder was arrested.

Like Taylor, Isaac Trimble served under Ewell, who again was under Jackson, making Trimble one of Jackson's generals. I don't think he was arrested either.

Did Taylor ever serve directly under Jackson? I think that as Brigadier he was under Ewell and when he got the promotion, he moved west...

Although Taylor's Louisiana Brigade (the largest in Jackson's Army of the Valley) was technically a part of Ewell's Division, there were at lest two or three occasions where it operated directly under Jackson's orders: In the prelude to Front Royal Taylor was part of the erratic movements back-and-forth through New Market Gap; at Winchester Ewell with only Trimble's Brigade was isolated by thick fog on the extreme right while Taylor was sent to the far left by Jackson to outflank Banks; and later at Cross Keys on June 8 Jackson withdrew Taylor's Brigade from Ewell and sent it towards threatened Port Republic to act as army reserve. (Later that day it returned to Ewell after the fighting was over.) In the June 9 battle at Port Republic Ewell for a time remained at the ford overseeing the crossing of the rest of his division while Taylor was again moving through thick woods to outflank the Coaling.

Ewell first came under Jackson's orders in May during the McDowell operation when he crossed the Blue Ridge to watch Banks at Strasburg in Jackson's absence. He remained part of what was then called Jackson's Command - not yet the Second Corps - until he was wounded at Brawner's Farm on August 28, 1862, so it was more like only four months. As for Johnson, since he was outranked by Stonewall, I think it fair to say that for at least a few days until his wounding at McDowell he was under Jackson's command.

Wow, really? That's great! I'm so envious...
I will probably never again be there. Oh my, that big lump in my throat is there again...

The 2017 trip was already in the works before the 2016 trip. I will be attending the Civil War Institute 2017 held at Gettysburg College. I just cannot wait! However, I have a LOT of reading to do, because those professors will definitely challenge my limits.

The 2017 trip was already in the works before the 2016 trip. I will be attending the Civil War Institute 2017 held at Gettysburg College. I just cannot wait! However, I have a LOT of reading to do, because those professors will definitely challenge my limits.

Well then, good luck with that! You sure have the best backup crew that can be. Our immensely knowledgeable co-members will certainly help you with your homework! :smile:

View attachment 111097

And thanks also to @unionblue and Mr. And Mrs. @John Winn who were about the only persons with whom I had the opportunity to share my collection of tintypes, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes, thermoplastic cases, and CDV's. I had purposely selected this small table over to the side of the Jenny Wade Room so as not to detract from the actual sellers during the book signing but since I hadn't set up before the stated time at noon few seemed to notice.

View attachment 111098

I've previously posted many if not most of these here in the forums, but here they were "in person":

View attachment 111099

I'd hoped more of the ladies would've seen the civilian images, especially those featuring women and children in period attire.

View attachment 111100
Looks like a really wonderful collection James... I would have loved looking at it with you if I could have been there. An image in hand can often be so much more impressive than what one gets from viewing it on-line...

Last edited:
Back