1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg 2016: After Action Reports

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Bee, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

Hopefully this thread will survive to capture some of the comments/reflections for others to enjoy regarding our recent Gettysburg trip.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the things that I miss most from college life was the camaraderie - particularly the brinksmanship regarding who could quote Monty Python movies the most accurately. While I pined for solitude and a place of my own, the "be careful what you wish for" canard comes to bite hard. One cannot make one's self laugh very easily., which is why I actually mark the first laugh of the day in my notes.

I am happy to report that there were too many laughs to register a first on this trip -- probably easier to note when I was silent:smile:

There is nothing more hysterical than hearing a bloke from Oz growling out "the Devil to pay!!!" five times in a row -- each time more growly. @PeterT owned the day when it came to John Buford lines as delivered by Sam Elliot (sort of a caricature of a caricature) *geez: I am laughing right now* He was rehearsing for what was going to be a pilgrimage to the cupola at the end of the trip. It gets even better when you throw in @cash & @War Horse chiming in at different times with their own renditions. The best I could offer is "I am so very tired"....and so the volley goes back and forth until I cannot breathe at times. College revisited. Good days.

Now, very special mention goes to @cash as he can do one of my most favourite monologues from the episode: Chiggy von Richthofen vs Hammerheads -- from a favourite sci fi show: Space: Above and Beyond. Start at minute 8:20. Absolutely priceless. Almost worth the cost of the trip. Almost :smile: Don't worry if you have no idea what I am talking about: no one else in my life does, either.

****************************************************************************************

September to Remember 2017 - come join us on the new thread

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

I added a link in the first post on each page to the new September to Remember thread.

James N., PeterT, Bee and 1 other person like this.

4. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  5. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

I thought views from the Pennsylvania Monument were terrific. You can see the obvious landmarks. The Copse of Trees, Cemetery Hill, the Codori farm buildings, the Round Tops.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

unionblue, James N., FZ11 and 2 others like this.
  6. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Great photos again, Peter.
    And as many of us said the other day in @W. Richardson 's thread, they give you the strange feeling of "being at home" there. We drove around and walked around the Pennsylvania monument so frequently ... and it's interesting to see the view of the Gettysburg webcam atop the Codori barn from the opposite direction!

FZ11 and PeterT like this.
  7. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

[​IMG]

When going through old photos I'd taken at Gettysburg in the 1960's I'd evidently forgotten about the observation deck on the Pennsylvania Memorial and originally posted the one below as taken from the Peach Orchard. Only later did I notice a note on the back stating it was taken from the monument looking to the northeast with Culp's Hill at left and Wolf Hill at right.

[​IMG]

PeterT and unionblue like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)