1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg 2016: After Action Reports

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Bee, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Hopefully this thread will survive to capture some of the comments/reflections for others to enjoy regarding our recent Gettysburg trip.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the things that I miss most from college life was the camaraderie - particularly the brinksmanship regarding who could quote Monty Python movies the most accurately. While I pined for solitude and a place of my own, the "be careful what you wish for" canard comes to bite hard. One cannot make one's self laugh very easily., which is why I actually mark the first laugh of the day in my notes.

I am happy to report that there were too many laughs to register a first on this trip -- probably easier to note when I was silent:smile:

There is nothing more hysterical than hearing a bloke from Oz growling out "the Devil to pay!!!" five times in a row -- each time more growly. @PeterT owned the day when it came to John Buford lines as delivered by Sam Elliot (sort of a caricature of a caricature) *geez: I am laughing right now* He was rehearsing for what was going to be a pilgrimage to the cupola at the end of the trip. It gets even better when you throw in @cash & @War Horse chiming in at different times with their own renditions. The best I could offer is "I am so very tired"....and so the volley goes back and forth until I cannot breathe at times. College revisited. Good days.

Now, very special mention goes to @cash as he can do one of my most favourite monologues from the episode: Chiggy von Richthofen vs Hammerheads -- from a favourite sci fi show: Space: Above and Beyond. Start at minute 8:20. Absolutely priceless. Almost worth the cost of the trip. Almost :smile: Don't worry if you have no idea what I am talking about: no one else in my life does, either.

****************************************************************************************

September to Remember 2017 - come join us on the new thread

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

noooooo!

I've uploaded most of my Gettysburg pics here, plus some from Antietam (the artillery demo) and a couple from Bull Run.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43865547@N02/albums/72157673397234693

I tend to take a lot of pics of trees and critters and not as many of actual people, sorry.

4. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  5. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

6. rosefiend

rosefiend First Sergeant

Thanks!

War Horse likes this.
  7. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

My new year plans include some more posts on this thread. Can't let it go really, can I @Bee?

8. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

....and we don't want you to let it go, @PeterT . I was hoping that you still had another secret stash of pictures that you had forgotten about :smile:

9. StephenColbert27

StephenColbert27 First Sergeant

Middle of a Corn Field, Somewhere in Illinois
    That was my thought too when I saw he posted on the thread. "Oh boy, more pictures!"

Bee and War Horse like this.
  10. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

So I am back to this for a while. I will post several photos of various stuff. Stay tuned.

First up .... my attempt at a 360 degree view from the Seminary cupola. One of many highlights of the "September to Remember".

Looking west ... the McPherson barn can be seen on the right.

IMG_1597.JPG

11. StephenColbert27

So much nostalgia for this trip already. Is it too early to schedule another one of these, @War Horse? :tongue:

W. Richardson, War Horse and PeterT like this.
  12. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Oops. Posted before I had finished. Moving to the right, so more north west. McPherson barn on the left centre.

IMG_1599.JPG

And more to the right and northerly.

IMG_1600.JPG

To the right again ... looking more north east and the northern part of the town. The "Reynolds Path" is shown.

"What goes John?" "The Devils to pay!"

IMG_1590.JPG

Moving further to the right and looking east/south east. The water tank on Cemetery Hill can be made out. Culps Hill is in view too.

IMG_1595.JPG

And southerly, but not much to see battlefield wise, with buildings were there none in 1863

IMG_1596.JPG

13. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

I knew you were holding out just when we were all in a need of a fix!! Keep 'em coming :smile:

James N., War Horse and PeterT like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Captain

Chickamauga! Let's do it!

15. StephenColbert27

Hell yeah. I've been meaning to head out there for a while anyway. I'd have to re-read Cozzens' book for a refresher, but that's no bother. Remember enjoying that book quite a bit.
    @War Horse
    Looks like we need to start working! :tongue: Willing and able, sir.

16. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Just don't do anything as early as May - Mike ( @mkyzzzrdet ) & I are planning a trip to Perryville and Ft. Knox, Kentucky for then!

17. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Looks like we have the desire. We have an idea in the incubator. I'll be starting a thread soon.

18. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 2nd Lieutenant

can somebody rename this threat to 'gettysburg-after-a(ddi)ction'?

19. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Ironically, this was the very last photo I took (#424) and it really should have been the first. With General Buford in the background.

IMG_1640.JPG

20. War Horse

It amazes me when I read that sign. It seems to cover everything right? How much history is crammed between the arrival of Hills (Heth) corps and the actual Union being driven out of town. Amazing once you dig.

21. War Horse

Ok gang, out with the old in with the new. We're doing it again!!!!!! Bigger and better than ever. Hope to see you all there.

22. W. Richardson

W. Richardson 1st Lieutenant

I am always looking over this thread, reading and remembering. It is a time I will always cherish, always remember. It seems like yesterday, and yet so long ago. I remember the build up to September to Remember, then journey to Gettysburg, and then....................it went by so fast..............I miss all you guys and gals..............

I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying another new year.

Me and a guy named Lincoln.JPG
    Respectfully,
    William

unionblue, Seduzal, James N. and 7 others like this.
  23. W. Richardson

W. Richardson 1st Lieutenant

Wonderful photos ! Thank you for sharing them.

Davis Inaugural, Montgomery, AL 1861.jpg
    Respectfully,
    William

Bee and rosefiend like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)