1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg 2016: After Action Reports

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Bee, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Hopefully this thread will survive to capture some of the comments/reflections for others to enjoy regarding our recent Gettysburg trip.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the things that I miss most from college life was the camaraderie - particularly the brinksmanship regarding who could quote Monty Python movies the most accurately. While I pined for solitude and a place of my own, the "be careful what you wish for" canard comes to bite hard. One cannot make one's self laugh very easily., which is why I actually mark the first laugh of the day in my notes.

I am happy to report that there were too many laughs to register a first on this trip -- probably easier to note when I was silent:smile:

There is nothing more hysterical than hearing a bloke from Oz growling out "the Devil to pay!!!" five times in a row -- each time more growly. @PeterT owned the day when it came to John Buford lines as delivered by Sam Elliot (sort of a caricature of a caricature) *geez: I am laughing right now* He was rehearsing for what was going to be a pilgrimage to the cupola at the end of the trip. It gets even better when you throw in @cash & @War Horse chiming in at different times with their own renditions. The best I could offer is "I am so very tired"....and so the volley goes back and forth until I cannot breathe at times. College revisited. Good days.

Now, very special mention goes to @cash as he can do one of my most favourite monologues from the episode: Chiggy von Richthofen vs Hammerheads -- from a favourite sci fi show: Space: Above and Beyond. Start at minute 8:20. Absolutely priceless. Almost worth the cost of the trip. Almost :smile: Don't worry if you have no idea what I am talking about: no one else in my life does, either.

****************************************************************************************

September to Remember 2017 - come join us on the new thread

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

I will post more pictures of the weekend activities .... stay tuned!

War Horse and FarawayFriend like this.

4. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  5. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

@PeterT : You have been holding out on us????? Almost like that one last present that dad left in the back room after all of the others have been opened :smile:

6. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

Oh how sad! I'll see if I have any others of you!

7. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

You are in several, so watch out!

War Horse likes this.
  8. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Uh-oh. I hope you got my good side :smile:

War Horse and PeterT like this.
  9. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

I'll do these in small groups of mostly the people! Phil Musketts tour firstly.
    IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

pamc153PA, James N., chellers and 4 others like this.
  10. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Eric Wittenberg's Dan Sickles tour ......

Views from the Longstreet Tower

IMG_1428.JPG

Little Round Top and Big Round Top
    IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

Eric explains why Sickles original position was not a good one
    IMG_1436.JPG

@War Horse is deep in thought
    IMG_1441.JPG

I'm sure everyone is listening to Eric! I think @LoriAnn it was who mentioned that we appear to not be listening to him
    IMG_1443.JPG

11. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

I really like this photo because various people are facing different ways. The visual cracked me up.
    I am certain you are all concentrating on the tour info. This is not a group that tunes out. :smile:

Great photos, Peter!

12. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Thank you, @PeterT ! Seems Dirk is in a lot of them. He quite often makes a fun of posing in the background of other people's photos, but in this case he was genuinely interested.
    @sarladaise you are very welcome and I think if you download these here you will have plenty of good photos.
    It was a pleasure meeting you there and the two of you where the last ones we saw at Gettysburg, at Friendly's. I hope your further trip went well, we have thought of you quite often. I so hope we all might meet again!

War Horse, chellers and PeterT like this.
  13. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

So now Picketts Charge with @E_just_E

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

Hi Andrea and Dirk! (There he is again :D)
    IMG_1469.JPG

@E_just_E standing on Garnett's Rock. Is that @sarladaise in the background?
    IMG_1470.JPG

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  14. StephenColbert27

StephenColbert27 First Sergeant

Middle of a Corn Field, Somewhere in Illinois
    Great pictures, @PeterT! Still looking back with a lot of fondness on that weekend-and forward to our next get-together, whenever and wherever that is!

15. chellers

chellers Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Are you planning another Gettysburg pilgrimage for June 2017?

rosefiend likes this.
  16. sarladaise

sarladaise First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Thanks a lot @PeterT! You made my day...
    @FarawayFriend We also enjoyed meeting you and Dirk for breakfast at Friendly's! Yes, our trip went
    very well, except hurricane Matthew ruined our stay in Charleston! I also keep my fingers crossed that we
    might all meet again!

rosefiend, PeterT, War Horse and 2 others like this.
  17. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

So, the last of the "people" photos. These come from the fabulous tour by @Eric Wittenberg of East Cavalry Field.

IMG_1483.JPG

Eric with @James N.
    IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

18. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Thanks again, @PeterT !!
    We did not attend this one, something I do regret now. But as we had to check out that day and the tour lasted longer than check-out time, we would have had to pack our stuff, have breakfast, pack the car, check out and be at the meeting point all until 8:30 . We felt that this was too early for us. But if I look at the group now, I wished we had sacrificed two hours of sleep to be with you all and listen to @Eric Wittenberg once more...

19. Frums

Frums Private

I love that it looks like @E_just_E is just staring at the side of the barn.

rosefiend, War Horse, PeterT and 2 others like this.
  20. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

I was just doing that. Matter of fact I was looking at holes in the wood that looked like someone had punched out pine board knots to make it looks like bullet holes :wink:

rosefiend, PeterT, Frums and 3 others like this.
  21. Blessmag

Blessmag Captain

Several of these look like those mannequin mob posts

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  22. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

I should add that I usually look at photos from a slightly odd perspective. Unless the photo is a very concentrated visual on something specific (a friend just posted a gorgeous shot of snowflakes on a tree branch), I will tend to notice something in the background, or like in the case of Peter's photo, I will take the entire shot in a totally different way than it was intended.

That's why my daughter has me go through her 800+ photos after a day of shooting. She misses a lot because she concentrates on the original idea. I always find the dude accidentally posing in a lewd way in the background. :D I've saved her some aggravation!

So if I comment on anyone's photo in a comical way, it's not a critique on your shot. It's my brain being silly. (And believe me, I hold my tongue quite a bit on here!)

23. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

I know exactly what you mean, Lori Ann! Sometimes I burst out laughing about things that leave other looking at me like I just lost my marbles. Weird sense of humour, I guess. My tongue is often bitten to shred, or I embarrass myself thoroughly!

LoriAnn, Frums, PeterT and 2 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)