Lee Gen. Robert E. Lees Favorite Dish

Barrycdog

Major
Author:United Daughters of the Confederacy. California Division. Robert E. Lee Chapter, No. 278, Los Angeles

https://archive.org/details/echosofsouthernk00unitiala

leesdish.jpg

Barrycdog whydo you do this to me? Now I want brown beans, cornbread, and cold buttermilk. All with lots of butter

Barrycdog whydo you do this to me? Now I want brown beans, cornbread, and cold buttermilk. All with lots of butter
My Dad loved "cold buttermilk," too. I've tried and tried to acquire a taste for it, but it tastes absolutely horrible to me. Don't mind it in pancakes, though or as a pre-wash for fried chicken.

My Dad loved "cold buttermilk," too. I've tried and tried to acquire a taste for it, but it tastes absolutely horrible to me. Don't mind it in pancakes, though or as a pre-wash for fried chicken.

Store bought buttermilk is awful...but it's all there is nowadays! The real buttermilk, like my uncle used to make, is so different you wonder why the store bought is even called buttermilk.

Buttermilk was another of Lee's favorite foods. One time a farmer brought in a bunch of produce and livestock, chickens and so on and a jug of buttermilk. Lee sent everything on to the wounded but took the butter milk into his tent and stuck the jug under his cot!

I guess buttermilk is one of things you you either love or hate. I can easily drink a quart of it on a hot day. Of course, there are different grades and tastes of buttermilk. Rich, thick and creamy with a dash of salt and pepper if that's not available, tall gin and tonic answers nicely.

May I suggest a pot luck? Colonel Diane please bring two buttermilk pies; you see I get "silly" after my second glass of buttermilk--must be on my way. Thank you for the fun.

Back