Fredericksburg, During Battle?

Thought I'd browse with a few minutes, these posts are terrific. Have nothing to add- really love the era photos with markers! There's a photo with Barksdale's men standing on the end of that truncated bridge by the mill, right?

For some reason a lot of the most haunting era photos are of Fredericksburg, must have been a few photographers through there. Really do not collect these old things for ' Show and Tell ', just am smitten. You can get lost in them.

View attachment 83861

This is so clear. Where is this, please? I know ' Fredericksburg but there are no homes, etc.

View attachment 83864

View attachment 83866

View attachment 83867
I think this is the Baptist Church
I've read something somewhere where it stated that your first picture also supposedly showed fighting going on in the distance.

Not taken during the battle, but here's one of my favorite images of the Fredericksburg battlefield, looking out over the ground that the Federals had to cross in their attacks on Marye's Heights. This image was taken facing west; Marye's Heights is seen in the background and the irrigation ditch is in the foreground.

View attachment 83852

Here's another photo taken from atop Marye's Heights. The Telegraph Road and stone wall can be seen at the bottom of the hill, earthworks are in the foreground, town is in the background.
fredericksburg-as-seen-from-maryes-heights-1499.jpg
"A chicken couldn't live on that field.........."

Reactions: AUG
Here is a collection of high-resolution photographs of smoke taken during the battle I put together: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/second-battle-of-fredericksburg-battle-smoke-photographs.114091/
The first one possibly shows Union troops advancing to the front line across a pontoon bridge and a lot of battle smoke. That one is my favorite of the series. They were all taken by Andrew J. Russell.

A lot more information (including one battle smoke photograph I have yet to see a high-resolution version of) can be found in Bob Zeller's The Blue and Gray in Black and White. Here's an excerpt: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/wha...ion-shots-of-the-civil-war.94969/#post-798383

Smith married J. Horace Lacy's daughter, Agnes, at Chatham in 1871.

View attachment 83805

By the way, this is pretty awesome, thank you for bringing it here! The families, events, weddings and births and deaths inside these famous houses flatten me. There were enslaved populations too, always think of them behind all the grandeur, you know? Who it was creating these magnificent dwellings, their ornate woodwork, memorable gardens, heck, in those days crafted the specifically colored bricks from local clay.

By the way, this is pretty awesome, thank you for bringing it here! The families, events, weddings and births and deaths inside these famous houses flatten me. There were enslaved populations too, always think of them behind all the grandeur, you know? Who it was creating these magnificent dwellings, their ornate woodwork, memorable gardens, heck, in those days crafted the specifically colored bricks from local clay.

The Smith side of the family were all poor Presbyterians ministers including Smith's father, grandfather and great grandfather. However, the Lacy family appears to have been wealthy with a plantation in Louisiana with many slaves.

Back