Fort Worden

USS ALASKA

Captain
Fort Worden.jpg

https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/wastate/id/1

I was reading about Endicott Period fortifications, (I know, not ACW, Mea Culpa - but ACW era forts received Endicott upgrades ), and stumbled onto a Fort Worden...Worden...wasn't that the dude...Yeap, named after the commander of the USS Monitor and later to be a Rear Admiral. The fort was operational from 1902 to 1953.

Can anyone think of ANY other Army installation named after a Navy guy?

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Camp Perry, in Ohio. Fort Preble, Portland (Maine of course). Fort Foote, Maryland, built to defend Washington DC during the War of the Rebellion. Fort Foote is now an NPS park and has some well preserved earthworks and a couple of big Rodman guns on rail mounts.

Endicott and Taft fortifications are cool, even when built atop 3rd System forts such as Sumter, Gaines, Morgan etc.

This 6” disappearing rifle is at Fort Pickens. In the background are a 5” gun with an armored shield and a rangefinding tower.

432F12D2-24E1-4D94-9305-1737DEB34594.jpeg

Last edited:
The U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School (SWCS)

It is my understanding that the 'Swick' was named for JFK because of the great support he showed to the Special Ops community while POTUS, when other, more traditional, leadership was unconvinced. Not for anything he did while in the Navy.

However, it is an Army installation named after a Navy dude.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Back