Radar14
Private
- Joined
- Aug 1, 2026
- Location
- Washington
Today, I was on the road and had the opportunity to stop in at Fort Steilacoom, which is located on the grounds of Western State Hospital in the State of Washington, north of Olympia. Not much of the original fort (1849-1868) remains, except for a row of beautifully restored quarters and a covered shed with two fine (albeit slightly anachronistic) M1857 12-pounder Napoleons. One of the pieces is said to be an 1862-cast Hooper, though the muzzle markings are illegible. The other, however, is still sharp: No. 247, cast in 1863, by Revere. My understanding is that these two 12-pounders were relocated to Fort Steilacoom from another park in Olympia, on loan.
Here are some photos from the day:
A beautiful pair of field guns.
Muzzle detail from the Revere gun--with the initials "T.J.R." for Thomas J. Rodman, Ordnance.
Nearby, the old Officers Row/quarters:
This looks like a salute gun--I have no idea if it is original. Feel free to chime in if you know.
It was a great little day trip between work sites; if you're in the area, I recommend stopping by.
Here are some photos from the day:
A beautiful pair of field guns.
Muzzle detail from the Revere gun--with the initials "T.J.R." for Thomas J. Rodman, Ordnance.
Nearby, the old Officers Row/quarters:
This looks like a salute gun--I have no idea if it is original. Feel free to chime in if you know.
It was a great little day trip between work sites; if you're in the area, I recommend stopping by.