Fort Mahone, Third Petersburg

D.H. Hill

Private
Joined
Aug 26, 2013
Gentlemen,
I'm looking for a schematic of the works at Fort Mahone (some of you yankees might know it better as "Fort Damnation"). If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
D.H.

EDIT: Any good articles about the fort would also be appreciated. Thank you, D.H.
 
Last edited:
Thank you, sir.
Is the fort still in existence? If so, I could probably find a satellite image. I don't recall offhand but I believe it was either Mahone or Sedgwick is now a Walmart. Should all else fail I might try using period photographs to try to piece the works back together.

EDIT: looked on google maps. Fort Mahone is no more.
 
Last edited:
You may have seen this, but these are the evacuated trenches of Fort Mahone after the battle of April 2, 1865.



upload_2014-9-30_19-46-14.png
 
Both are gone. While looking for a plan of the fort I seem to remember reading that the works were leveled shortly after the war. The map linked to the attached brochure shows the location. It seems to be a commercial / residential area at present. The Gowen (48th Pennsylvania) and Pennsylvania (Hartranft's Division) Monuments were on the site of Fort Mahone.
http://www.nps.gov/pete/planyourvisit/upload/PETEmap1.pdf
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top