Fort Brule

photoman475

Sergeant
Joined
Nov 13, 2015
Location
Fargo, ND
1570244783198.png

Truly a Forgotten Fort. This one is located just west of Richland, SD, right on SD Highway 50 about 5 miles east of the I-29 interchange (Vermillion exit). It was built as a citizens fort and used by the Army after the 1862 Dakota Uprising. It was in service until 1865. The 1873 date on the marker has been questioned by Jeff Barnes in his Forts on the Upper Great Plains book.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that the fort was home to the US Volunteer regiments during the ACW years. Many a galvanized Yankee served there and other places in the Northwest Territory
Regards
David
 
I was just looking through this thread on Fort Brule. An interesting location. Is this marker all that remains? I can see a drawing engraved on the marker. Is anything known about the size and materials used for the fort? Almost looks as if it might have been made out of timbers.

Roy B.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top