Uniforms Flower Buttons- Confederate

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
I saw a post from 2017 regarding Flower Buttons that were used commonly on the vests of Confederates and there was limited use among the Federals as well. I would like to see if any similar buttons have been dug recently. The one I picked up today is from an old collection of dug artifacts. I may have overpaid but I did like the pattern.

98C7DC27-E8E1-430F-BCDF-21FBB9FE5C3B.jpeg

Many flat buttons, flower buttons and other civilian buttons are found in CS camps as they would get clothing sent from home, especially in late war camps. I love the different patterns as well. Also, here is the buttons on the Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest vest.
DSCN2285.JPG
DSCN2286.JPG
forrest vest.jpg

Thank you @ucvrelics I knew I could count on you to provide great information. From what I have gathered it seems to confirm what you are saying.
General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s buttons are a very unique pattern as well. Thank you
Im
Still wondering how I would price them for purchase or sale but I’m left with the thought that it is pretty much whatever you are willing to pay. Always a risk they may not even be Confederate since the Federals used them early in the war as well?

Thank you @ucvrelics I knew I could count on you to provide great information. From what I have gathered it seems to confirm what you are saying.
General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s buttons are a very unique pattern as well. Thank you
Im
Still wondering how I would price them for purchase or sale but I’m left with the thought that it is pretty much whatever you are willing to pay. Always a risk they may not even be Confederate since the Federals used them early in the war as well?
All flower buttons should be considered civilian unless there is a tried and true provenance to a person or place. There were many more civilians than soldiers in the period, so civilian items should always be treated as such until proven otherwise. The price for an non-provenance piece is the value of the piece itself. I purchase original non-dug flowers for my re-enacting gear, as they are affordable and bring a sense of realism one cannot find in the repro market.

Back