Uniforms Flower Buttons- Confederate

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
I saw a post from 2017 regarding Flower Buttons that were used commonly on the vests of Confederates and there was limited use among the Federals as well. I would like to see if any similar buttons have been dug recently. The one I picked up today is from an old collection of dug artifacts. I may have overpaid but I did like the pattern.

98C7DC27-E8E1-430F-BCDF-21FBB9FE5C3B.jpeg

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Many flat buttons, flower buttons and other civilian buttons are found in CS camps as they would get clothing sent from home, especially in late war camps. I love the different patterns as well. Also, here is the buttons on the Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest vest.
DSCN2285.JPG
DSCN2286.JPG
forrest vest.jpg

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
Thank you @ucvrelics I knew I could count on you to provide great information. From what I have gathered it seems to confirm what you are saying.
General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s buttons are a very unique pattern as well. Thank you
Im
Still wondering how I would price them for purchase or sale but I’m left with the thought that it is pretty much whatever you are willing to pay. Always a risk they may not even be Confederate since the Federals used them early in the war as well?

Package4

1st Lieutenant
Thank you @ucvrelics I knew I could count on you to provide great information. From what I have gathered it seems to confirm what you are saying.
General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s buttons are a very unique pattern as well. Thank you
Im
Still wondering how I would price them for purchase or sale but I’m left with the thought that it is pretty much whatever you are willing to pay. Always a risk they may not even be Confederate since the Federals used them early in the war as well?
All flower buttons should be considered civilian unless there is a tried and true provenance to a person or place. There were many more civilians than soldiers in the period, so civilian items should always be treated as such until proven otherwise. The price for an non-provenance piece is the value of the piece itself. I purchase original non-dug flowers for my re-enacting gear, as they are affordable and bring a sense of realism one cannot find in the repro market.