First Yankee relative

Well, I have just discovered that the brother of my great great grandmother, Augustus Jacob Moonert, was a Second Lieutenant in the 5th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. I don't have his service record yet but that unit saw some serious action. So I suppose I'm not 100% CSA lineage after all. :eek:

Edit: so far I've found that he only served from Sept. 24, 1861 unit May 26, 1862 when he resigned. He got a pension in 1879 and I'm sending for the file in hopes of discovering why he resigned (and because it likely contains useful genealogical info). If you're gonna have a Yankee an 8-month one isn't so bad.:wink:

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Well, I have just discovered that the brother of my great great grandmother, Augustus Jacob Moonert, was a Second Lieutenant in the 5th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. I don't have his service record yet but that unit saw some serious action. So I suppose I'm not 100% CSA lineage after all. :eek:

Edit: so far I've found that he only served from Sept. 24, 1861 unit May 26, 1862 when he resigned. He got a pension in 1879 and I'm sending for the file in hopes of discovering why he resigned (and because it likely contains useful genealogical info). If you're gonna have a Yankee an 8-month one isn't so bad.:wink:
That early in the war, maybe only enlisted for 9 months ?

That early in the war, maybe only enlisted for 9 months ?
They were a 3-month outfit but quickly unanimously voted to be a three-year unit. Augustus was initially voted Master Sergeant but soon somehow got promoted to Second Lieutenant. As he was then an officer I suppose he could just resign and go home at will. Why he chose to do so is, at this point, a mystery. I sort of hope he got sick but maybe he just decided he wasn't cut out to be a soldier and called it quits. Hopefully when I get his pension file it'll have something about that. He definitely left at a good time to escape real warfare (e.g. Gettysburg, Antietam).

They were a 3-month outfit but quickly unanimously voted to be a three-year unit. Augustus was initially voted Master Sergeant but soon somehow got promoted to Second Lieutenant. As he was then an officer I suppose he could just resign and go home at will. Why he chose to do so is, at this point, a mystery. I sort of hope he got sick but maybe he just decided he wasn't cut out to be a soldier and called it quits. Hopefully when I get his pension file it'll have something about that. He definitely left at a good time to escape real warfare (e.g. Gettysburg, Antietam).
The Confederates were allowed to elect their field officers. Not sure about the Federals. Maybe he wanted a higher rank than 2nd Lt ? He didn't get it, so he resigned ? I've seen instances of that with the Rebels.

My grandpa was mad when he found out one of his ancestors was in the Union army. I've just not bothered to tell him about several others I've found. :giggle:

John, is this connected with the German side of the family you were asking about earlier?
Yes. He was a brother of my maternal gg grandmother. A few of the family moved to Florida before the war and two of that line served the CSA. My namesake's son, also John Winn, married into that line, some of whom left Florida for Savannah. Great grandma's husband landed a job on the railroad in Savannah which, at the time, ended at Macon, Georgia and he was sent there to be a clerk. That's how my mother came to be born in Georgia (and me, too, I suppose).

Way more than you really wanted ? :D

Zella

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
This New England born and bred Yankee just found out over the weekend that I have some grey blood flowing through me. Thank You Zella, for finding my Kentucky born 2x great grandfather and tracing Napoleon back to Morgan’s Men. I think I am beginning to grown out of the shock of this knowledge.
:D

Know what you mean about genealogy shock. When I found the random failed cult leader in my family tree, I had to step away from the ancestry research for a few days. I'm rarely rendered speechless. But that did! :bounce:

I'm from South Carolina, with five Confederate ancestors that I've identified so far. My wife is from Ohio, with two men who fought for the Union, including one who was with Sherman. Our ancestors probably were shooting at each other in Georgia or Bentonville! Our kids know they have ancestors on both sides, so there will be no future shock. :D

Ha! I’ve got many very distant cousins in Pa. where my gg granddad escaped in the 1830’s, so I know there must be at least one in the woodpile somewhere. But it like avoiding the doctor when you fear bad news, I just don’t go there. :smile coffee:

Viper21

Sergeant Major
I'm from South Carolina, with five Confederate ancestors that I've identified so far. My wife is from Ohio, with two men who fought for the Union, including one who was with Sherman. Our ancestors probably were shooting at each other in Georgia or Bentonville! Our kids know they have ancestors on both sides, so there will be no future shock. :D
Similar here. I've identified 14 Confederate ancestors (Grandfathers, & Uncles) so far. Have only identified 1 Yankee. Ironically, he was the younger brother of a Confederate ancestor :O o: My wife's ancestors that fought, were all Yankees.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
This New England born and bred Yankee just found out over the weekend that I have some grey blood flowing through me. Thank You Zella, for finding my Kentucky born 2x great grandfather and tracing Napoleon back to Morgan’s Men. I think I am beginning to grow out of the shock of this knowledge.
My heartfelt congratulations on your good fortune!

Augustus Moonert: Enlisted on 6/19/1861 as a 34 year-old Private into "C" Co. OH 5th Infantry. Promoted to Sargent Major 6/18/1861. 2nd Lieut 9/24/1861 (As of Co. G). Company Transfers: 6/18/1861 from company C to Field & Staff. 9/24/1861 from Field & Staff to company G. He Resigned on 5/25/1862. Born in 1823 in Germany. Died 4/12/1908 in Seattle, WA. Buried: Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, OH. Gravesite: 20-S-4.

May have chosen to resign as opposed to being dropped from the rolls for being overage ? Not sure about the age requirements and regulations for the Union volunteers ? After the Confederate Armies reorganized in April-May, 1862, Men 35 or older were discharged for being too old.