Finally got my reenacting year started.

captaindrew

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Silver Patron
A very slow start to the year for me, usually have a few events in Florida under the belt by now, finally got started last weekend outside of Berkeley Springs WV. We were portraying the 5th Va. (Stonewall Brigade) during the Romney Expedition in January of 62. Unfortunately Sunday was washed out but got our fill of action on Saturday skirmishing with the Yankees almost non stop from sun up till late afternoon. Being it was a campaigner event and phones are strictly a no no so didn't sneak any pics till right at the end of the day Saturday before we started packing up. First shot is me on the right with a couple of my good friends from New England who traveled together to the event and the second is some of the guys in the company we fell in with. Had a great time and was sure nice getting some action again. Been a very quiet stretch with most of the Florida winter events canceled.
20210227_153510.jpg
20210227_152046.jpg

Tempted to get back into the hobby having seen the old boy standing next to you in the second pic 😇

Mind you, I could be doing him a disservice ... he may only be in his 30's but has had a very hard life. :whistling:
No he wasn't in his 30s but I can tell you he kept up with the young guys in a physically demanding event. I was a sore puppy yesterday. And he shared an amazing venison steak with us, so he's more than ok in my book!

Well, wish I had paid more attention, Berkeley Springs is a pretty short ride from here.
It was a under the radar event at one of the guy's hunting camp with no spectators. I wouldn't have known about it but got invited by a friend of one of the guys who put it on. That's mostly the type of stuff I've been doing since the plague started.

Very nice impression IMHO..
Campaigner, closed to public events we called tacticals. Physically hard usually but lots of fun ! Burned lots of powder those weekends. Great campfire stories arose from those events.
Returning to the 21st century was kind of a shock, hot running water and soft bed never felt so good.

Thanks for posting, looks like you had a blast..!

Very nice impression IMHO..
Campaigner, closed to public events we called tacticals. Physically hard usually but lots of fun ! Burned lots of powder those weekends. Great campfire stories arose from those events.
Returning to the 21st century was kind of a shock, hot running water and soft bed never felt so good.

Thanks for posting, looks like you had a blast..!
Thanks, it was a fun and demanding day. It was a shame Sunday was a washout but I think we were all pretty beat by the end of the day Saturday so nobody was that broken hearted.

I got word today that the Battle of Pleasant Hill reenactment on the original field will go forward no matter what in April. If it gets too bad they'll just make it a no spectator event.

That used to be my favorite event, but in 2015 it had gotten so bad I pledged never to return if they didn't straighten things up. Bad part is when told it was fixed, it was explained and sounded worse! But I'm desperate enough for an event I might eat my words and go this year, work and life permitting.

Back