Discussion Enfield Tools

Peter Stines

Sergeant
If you are interested in the combination tools used with the various patterns of Enfields (long, short, cavalry, private and sergeants versions) find a copy of Arms Gazette Vol. 11 Number 3 November 1974. Title: British Military Combination Tools 1842-1862 by D.W. Bailey. He has line drawings of the tools used with Brunswick and Minie rifle and photos of the different Enfield tools. He covers the history and pros and cons of each one. It shows some of the tools disassembled so you can see the components like the worm, bullet screw etc. Arms Gazette is no longer being published. If I can scan and post I'll do so. If not, you may need to request it inter-library loan or maybe find it on line.

Would you mind sending pictures of the pages? I can PM you my contact information. I have several books on tools, but am missing information on the Brunswick rifle and p1851.

Would you mind sending pictures of the pages? I can PM you my contact information. I have several books on tools, but am missing information on the Brunswick rifle and p1851.
I think Howard Blackmore's book on British Military Firearms has some pics of them. I know he had some of the Baker tools. I've seen some repros of those from The Rifle Shoppe and I have a set for my Baker. (No it's not one of the India made pipe bombs)

Back