Dropped Nipples

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I wasn't sure where to post this Question but I think it fits here best.

Every relic hunter talks about dropped bullets. But what about dropped Nipples.
In other discussions about reenacting and how to shoot muzzle loaders, there is discussion about proper cleaning and clearing clogged vents.
Nipples.JPG

Pistol Nipple and Musket Nipple

Did the soldiers ever loose their nipples? I guess I can say I have not dropped one but then I am cleaning my guns in the garage or on a table. I do tend to drop other small parts, usually some cleaning jag or something not needed for shooting.

Has anyone dug up a nipple out in the field? Or are they so small that they turned into a ball of rust after 100 years?

Great question. I'd imagine that might happen in the camps more than on the field. I know I've never seen any for sale (in my admittedly small amount of shopping). Wonder what some of the resident camp hunters have found?

I know that the good metal detectors have capability to control the sensitivity of the signal so it only detects certain type and sizes of metal.
But it is common to find tiny .36 caliber tear-drop bullets so I would think it would detect a nipple.
Also, I said I never replaced a nipple when I was shooting on a range or in the field. I have experimented and changed out nipples— probably at a bench on the range. I would switch out the original with an Uncle Mike's or a Hot Shot or a stainless steel or one with a hole near the top that I think was to bypass some of the gas to keep the fired cap loose.

I did replace a nipple in “battle”, once. The only time I ever reenacted, i borrowed a rifle and brogans and a uniform one weekend. In our first battle, my Nipple split apart. I reported to my Captain. Right in the middle of battle, the Captain asked the company if anyone had a spare. Someone did and I acquired it for $5. Cant remember how I removed the broken one and installed the new one but someone had their tool with them.
I never understood how or why it broke.

20 years from now, someone will dig up my broken nipple and add it to his display of dug relics.

Last edited:
You don't find them as often as other items. I always dig all signals in the camps I'm in now, especially the areas where I found a lot of gun parts as if you don't you will miss the lock-plates, hammers etc. I have only found 3 nipples so far in this camp.
DSCN8828.JPG
DSCN8829.JPG
DSCN8830.JPG
DSCN8867.JPG
DSCN8868.JPG
DSCN8874.JPG

I would bet that if something like that happened in battle, the soldier would just toss the rifle and pick up a nearby one from a fallen comrade or enemy. Few are going to take the time to repair a weapon when there were bunches lying around them.

Ryan

I would bet that if something like that happened in battle, the soldier would just toss the rifle and pick up a nearby one from a fallen comrade or enemy. Few are going to take the time to repair a weapon when there were bunches lying around them.
True. My thought as well. However, he might pick up one of those that have 3 or 4 rounds rammed down the barrel. I would think most soldiers would take pride in their weapon and be hesitant to give it up for one he knows little about. But again---actions in battle are different.

True. My thought as well. However, he might pick up one of those that have 3 or 4 rounds rammed down the barrel. I would think most soldiers would take pride in their weapon and be hesitant to give it up for one he knows little about. But again---actions in battle are different.

I would have assumed so too but considering how many instances we have of soldiers dropping all sorts of equipment at the drop of a hat, I'm not so sure that that assumption is warrented.

Ryan

Back