CW stops on Work Trip Three suggestions

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
Well given how popular my work related travels with CW related stops were in the past, I think its time for a third one! This won't exactly be a work trip like the previous ones, which was me and an old friend running around grabbing antique cars a tractors for his business, but it is kind of his fault. :banghead:I got a better paying job here several months back and asked him to pick up some VERY special merchandise for me next time he got around Pennsylvania, and when I called him to see when he was going so I could make arrangements, hand him the cash and so forth, he was already there!

I think I should say the stuff I got to pick up soon is very much CW related, and will be an expensive but rewarding project once I use them. I got to talking to the famous with CWT Musters friend and mentor of mine Tom the other day and he just suggested we make a special trip to pick the goodies up.

In Pennsylvania...

Its going to be a LONG trip going there from Texas and back, which I hate losing my extra pay at work with labor stuff going on in the world right now for it, but I kind of want to see some CW sites in the East while doing it. Old Tom has already declared Gettysburg is a must, which I know he's been there a lot, but I want to hear some other sites than can be a great quick stop off the road.

Also just for the record, and I know this is heresy to many, but seeing Gettysburg just don't interest me at all. Though some of the sutler and relic stores there does.

Right now I'm thinking on this around late October-early November as to when it'll happen. Here's links to the previous "CW Related Stops on Work Trip" threads for those who have no idea what I'm on about:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-stops-on-a-work-trip.160306/

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-stops-on-a-work-trip-2-the-great-escape.173595/

Sharpsburg may be a little out of the way, not to mention a little big to explore in maybe two hours time tops. Though I would absolutely love to see it, as well as Monocacy.

I imagine the trip will take us through West Virginia, anyone know of any sights there? I would like to try for Harpers Ferry, also its almost a must for me personally to see if there's anything noteworthy in New Creek where Rosser hit a Yank supply depot, (very interesting raid to read about).

How about museums as well? Its a given considering how my company always stops by the Civil War Museum of the Western Theater when he's in Kentucky that we'll see it. Anyone know of others between Texas and Pennsylvania going through Arkansas-Tennessee-Kentucky-W. Virginia-Maryland route up there?

James N. I'm reminded of your gripes about driving up there and timetables flying out the window.:D

If you drive to Harper's Ferry from Gettysburg you will literally pass right by Sharpsburg. If you get an early start you can see all the highlights in half a day. Don't pass it up!
Winchester, Cedar Creek, New Market, and several other Valley spots are all right there close by as well.
Being serious though I guess I'll have to put Sharpsburg on the list.

Seeing the Shenandoah Valley and several sites there would be good, and I imagine put me on for a straight course to Pennsylvania, just heading a bit more East before turning North but t throw W. Virginia and its mountains out the window completely. If it doesn't add too much time to the journey, (I can't take off work too long, two days is pushing my luck and hitting my pay), I reckon that'll be the way to take.

I could probably see Martin's Station and maybe try seeing some of the area where an ancestor in the 33rd VA grew up. I don't think Cedar Creek would make a good stop though, I aim to attend that reenactment one day somehow and I could always wait for that to see it.

Sharpsburg may be a little out of the way, not to mention a little big to explore in maybe two hours time tops. Though I would absolutely love to see it, as well as Monocacy.

I imagine the trip will take us through West Virginia, anyone know of any sights there? I would like to try for Harpers Ferry, also its almost a must for me personally to see if there's anything noteworthy in New Creek where Rosser hit a Yank supply depot, (very interesting raid to read about).

How about museums as well? Its a given considering how my company always stops by the Civil War Museum of the Western Theater when he's in Kentucky that we'll see it. Anyone know of others between Texas and Pennsylvania going through Arkansas-Tennessee-Kentucky-W. Virginia-Maryland route up there?

James N. I'm reminded of your gripes about driving up there and timetables flying out the window.:D
Look at it this way: Back in 2018 I drove my friend Doug and his son Bradley on that same route during our marathon trip to Gettysburg and back; you might want to review the thread I posted along the way to get an idea of the things I thought were important enough to visit in our 2+ weeks. Here's the post where the tour really begins:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/upcoming-april-2018-civil-war-excursion.144537/post-1787024

I don't think Cedar Creek would make a good stop though, I aim to attend that reenactment one day somehow and I could always wait for that to see it.
Cedar Creek is very spread out - hard to see in just a couple of hours.

The best quick stops in the Winchester area are Kernstown and Fisher's Hill - a good mix of compact, walkable, and well-interpretted.

I'll join the others and say Antietam. It's an easy drive and probably the closest major site to Gettysburg.

Cedar Creek is very spread out - hard to see in just a couple of hours.

The best quick stops in the Winchester area are Kernstown and Fisher's Hill - a good mix of compact, walkable, and well-interpretted.
I'm glad you said Fishers Hill as its a battle I've read a lot about and completely forgot.

It might help if you gave us an idea of your driving route
I still have no idea. Never been up in that section of the country and still kind of planning it.

I had been thinking of taking Interstates through Kentucky, (more or less familiar ground), up into W. Virginia then on to Maryland and Pennsylvania.

But everyone I know and more or less with sites mentioned here pushing me to avoid Kentucky and just go from East Tennessee into Virginia through the Shenandoah which I fear may prolong the trip. I'm sure it'd be worth it, but I've no idea if my boss at work would with days off.

If you take I-20 see Vicksburg.....I-20 to I-59 and you'll be in Chattanooga/Chickamauga, then it's I-81 up the Valley with New Market, Harpers Ferry/Antietam along the way until PA. Depending on the route home you could hit Nashville with Stones River/Franklin or go through Kentucky. I live in Houston and have done a few drives back east. There are many ways to go depending on the time allowed at each stop.

I still have no idea. Never been up in that section of the country and still kind of planning it.

I had been thinking of taking Interstates through Kentucky, (more or less familiar ground), up into W. Virginia then on to Maryland and Pennsylvania.

But everyone I know and more or less with sites mentioned here pushing me to avoid Kentucky and just go from East Tennessee into Virginia through the Shenandoah which I fear may prolong the trip. I'm sure it'd be worth it, but I've no idea if my boss at work would with days off.
Tell him you have Covid or something, but don't miss the Shenandoah Valley

Back