CSS Neuse & Albermarle Boilers

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
Silverstone says the both ships had 2 screws and 2 horizontal non-condensing engines (18" x 1' 7"), 2 boilers; IHP 400.

The sketch on the Neuse web site shows only one boiler. The letter quoted says THE boiler was lowered into the ship. One source says a boiler like those in use at the time in locomotives was used; another says the machinery came from a nearby mill.

Silverstone also says the Neuse ran aground in May '64 and remained there until destroyed in April '65. There are plenty of documents to prove that the ship was refloated and returned to its home port in mid-64 and was ordered to make a diversion to buy time for the Confederate retreat from the city in '65.

So Silverstone's data is in question. Can anyone confirm the number of boilers in Neuse? How about in Albermarle?

Silverstone says the both ships had 2 screws and 2 horizontal non-condensing engines (18" x 1' 7"), 2 boilers; IHP 400.

The sketch on the Neuse web site shows only one boiler. The letter quoted says THE boiler was lowered into the ship. One source says a boiler like those in use at the time in locomotives was used; another says the machinery came from a nearby mill.

Silverstone also says the Neuse ran aground in May '64 and remained there until destroyed in April '65. There are plenty of documents to prove that the ship was refloated and returned to its home port in mid-64 and was ordered to make a diversion to buy time for the Confederate retreat from the city in '65.

So Silverstone's data is in question. Can anyone confirm the number of boilers in Neuse? How about in Albermarle?
In Ironclad of the Roanaoke by Robert G Elliott is a very clear description of Albemarle's propulsion plant including the boilers (Plural) which measured : 15ft 4 inches long x 5ft 2" high and 4ft 7 inches wide, of cast iron plates with 120 tubes, 1ft 10 inches long by 3.25inches outside diameter.
I would think Neuse would have the same or similar .

In Ironclad of the Roanaoke by Robert G Elliott is a very clear description of Albemarle's propulsion plant including the boilers (Plural) which measured : 15ft 4 inches long x 5ft 2" high and 4ft 7 inches wide, of cast iron plates with 120 tubes, 1ft 10 inches long by 3.25inches outside diameter.
I would think Neuse would have the same or similar .
Thanks, John. The dimensions of Albermarle's boilers are very much in line with those of contemporary locomotives. After going through White's History of the American Locomotive, I cannot see how the Smithsonian can say that the Neuse's boiler (s) were typical of locomotive boilers, as though the dimensions were unique and definitive. UNLESS, the Albermarle had locomotive boilers, too. Any information in your reference as to the source of the boilers?

If Albermarle had 2 boilers of the size reported and Neuse only had 1 of the same size, Neus would have been so underpowered, it would have been remarkable. The drawing on the Neuse site shows only one set of boiler foundations, but the others, for a second boiler, would have been in the area where much of the flooring is missing. I wonder if too much is being made of what was found after 100 years and an earlier salvage job.

Is there anything in the CSN writings that indicates whether Neuse had 2 or 2 screws?

Thanks, John. The dimensions of Albermarle's boilers are very much in line with those of contemporary locomotives. After going through White's History of the American Locomotive, I cannot see how the Smithsonian can say that the Neuse's boiler (s) were typical of locomotive boilers, as though the dimensions were unique and definitive. UNLESS, the Albermarle had locomotive boilers, too. Any information in your reference as to the source of the boilers?

If Albermarle had 2 boilers of the size reported and Neuse only had 1 of the same size, Neus would have been so underpowered, it would have been remarkable. The drawing on the Neuse site shows only one set of boiler foundations, but the others, for a second boiler, would have been in the area where much of the flooring is missing. I wonder if too much is being made of what was found after 100 years and an earlier salvage job.

Is there anything in the CSN writings that indicates whether Neuse had 2 or 2 screws?
Robert says "Athough there has been widespread uncertainty about where the engines were procured, substantial knowledge of their construction and engineering features has been aquired " Page 142. There then follows an extremely detailed description from which I reckon a well equipped engineering shop could reproduce the whole thing down to the screws.
I will have to bow to your knowledge of American locomotive practice of the period, but from my own experience, I can say with certainty that one boiler as described could not produce enough steam to propel a vessel of the characteristics of the Albemarles.
There is confusion about the HP of each engine ,one source gives 100, the details quoted give 200, but this may depend on how the power was calculated, we don't know whether it was nominal, indicated ,or calculated, all of which will propvide a different output figure.
They were both twin screwed as was Frederiksburg.

Robert says "Athough there has been widespread uncertainty about where the engines were procured, substantial knowledge of their construction and engineering features has been aquired " Page 142. There then follows an extremely detailed description from which I reckon a well equipped engineering shop could reproduce the whole thing down to the screws.
I will have to bow to your knowledge of American locomotive practice of the period, but from my own experience, I can say with certainty that one boiler as described could not produce enough steam to propel a vessel of the characteristics of the Albemarles.
There is confusion about the HP of each engine ,one source gives 100, the details quoted give 200, but this may depend on how the power was calculated, we don't know whether it was nominal, indicated ,or calculated, all of which will propvide a different output figure.
They were both twin screwed as was Frederiksburg.
Great info, thanks.

I'm reading Ironclad Down and noticed that the author gives HP required to run the engine, HP lost in the shafting, and HP at the screw. Maybe differences like this account for the different HP numbers.

Also, BTW, ID says Merrimac's shaft was segmented, something that had been wondered about in regards to the New Orleans construction.

Great info, thanks.

I'm reading Ironclad Down and noticed that the author gives HP required to run the engine, HP lost in the shafting, and HP at the screw. Maybe differences like this account for the different HP numbers.

Also, BTW, ID says Merrimac's shaft was segmented, something that had been wondered about in regards to the New Orleans construction.
Dave ,that's interesting, maybe that explains later references to a disconnecting screw as opposed to a lifting screw, perhaps it was possible to disconnect part of the shaft so the screw windmilled when a vessel was under sail.

Dave ,that's interesting, maybe that explains later references to a disconnecting screw as opposed to a lifting screw, perhaps it was possible to disconnect part of the shaft so the screw windmilled when a vessel was under sail.
Actually, they could disconnect the screw and hoist it (no further info) for sailing or to work on the screw.

Actually, they could disconnect the screw and hoist it (no further info) for sailing or to work on the screw.
That's right , that was done by means of a cheese coupling between the sternpost and the screw boss, the screw and screw frame complete being hoisted clear of the waterline but I have also seen references to a disconnecting screw.

Back