Corned Beef Hash

Corned Beef Hash

From “What Mrs. Fisher Knows about Old Southern Cooking, Soups, Pickles, Preserves, etc”, By Abby Fisher, 1881

Take boiled corned beef and chop it very fine, four hot boiled Irish potatoes to one pound of beef, mash potatoes in the beef while hot, one slice of onion chopped with meat, half a teaspoonful of mustard mixed, two sprigs of parsley; then make into pones like a small loaf of bread, and bake brown. Season with black pepper to taste.

Corned Beef Hash

From “What Mrs. Fisher Knows about Old Southern Cooking, Soups, Pickles, Preserves, etc”, By Abby Fisher, 1881

Take boiled corned beef and chop it very fine, four hot boiled Irish potatoes to one pound of beef, mash potatoes in the beef while hot, one slice of onion chopped with meat, half a teaspoonful of mustard mixed, two sprigs of parsley; then make into pones like a small loaf of bread, and bake brown. Season with black pepper to taste.
Love corned beef hash, but it must not be soft and limp. The hash has to be given a good crust.

Corned Beef Hash

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Looking through my extensive early newspaper files, almost all 1860s references to corned beef hash are either restaurant listings or specifically canned. The canned variety seems to have been really popular. Here's a Feb. 19, 1857 recipe from the Peoria Star Journal, for a "Time Saver Meal" (sounds rather modern, doesn't it?):
cfvcb.jpg
"Can of corned beef," "instant mashed potatoes?"(!), "moisture-free instant onion?" Very modern, indeed! If you wanted to be consistent, I suppose you could make it with "Egg-starter"!

PS: a serving of corned beef at the American Eating House in Providence, R.I., will set you back twelve cents! (1863)

As I remember my grandmother's corned beef hash, she used potatoes that were more shredded or ground, had a toothier texture than anything "mashed" -- almost like hash-browns, with corned beef & onions. Delicious.

EDITED TO ADD:
Stop the presses!!! And start the apologies.
I copied the above clipping from an entry listed as follows:
screenshot-www.genealogybank.com-2018.09.27-22-48-21.jpg Foolish me, I took it at face value. But now, looking at the whole page, I find that it dates from 1957! The newspaper archive has mislabeled about ten years of the Peoria Star to the wrong century.

Everything else about the post, however, is just finee-34b8d86.jpg.

Last edited:
Back