Restricted Confederate Monument Vandalized

The iconoclastic surge of vandalism against Confederate historical monuments is politically motivated, coordinated, and well funded. If the people of South Carolina wish to remove the CBF and monuments, then that is their prerogative and right. It should be their choice, and not because of outside agitators. The Star Spangled Banner presided over legal African chattel slavery from 1787 until 1865, will it be the historical and cultural iconoclast's next target? Sanitizing history is a very slippery slope in my opinion, no matter the cause.

W. Richardson

Captain
Spray painting monuments vs. engaging in violent behavior against other human beings that will bring more reactions?

Paint will come off.

Yes paint will come off and sitting back and doing nothing will allow it to continue, and what is sitting back and doing nothing?...............By shrugging the shoulders and saying................Paint will come off, sorta like kids will be kids..
I am afraid things are going to get out of hand......On both sides. I am in no way comparing this to the sad and tragic murder of nine innocent people by the racist Roof, but actions such as attacking Confederate history and heritage will continue. The can of worms has now been opened I am afraid.

Respectfully,
William

Carronade

Captain
Losing count. The Zebulon Vance monument was also vandalized today in Ashville, NC.

635706568634947908-vandalism.jpg

Committing crimes to protest being treated like criminals...........

hanna260

Sergeant Major
Yeah, paint will come off, but I long for civilized discourse in place of paint or worse. (Sort of a vain hope, I guess, but...)

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Okay, clearly we're seeing a domino effect. There's a lot of anger and unrest and I think a serious discussion is needed. About heritage. About the legacy of Confederate symbols. About education. With people on both sides of the issue. Because right now? Confederate monuments are becoming seen by multiple people as symbols of the sort of hatred that led Roof to murder nine innocent people. Vandalizing monuments is wrong and I'll be the first to tell you that. But hand-wringing isn't going to stop the domino's or the anger or the nation. Discourse, on the other hand, is.

Maybe I'm just being naive. I don't know. My thoughts on this subject change daily. I'm just not sure what to think.

Reactions: ole

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Okay, clearly we're seeing a domino effect. There's a lot of anger and unrest and I think a serious discussion is needed. About heritage. About the legacy of Confederate symbols. About education. With people on both sides of the issue. Because right now? Confederate monuments are becoming seen by multiple people as symbols of the sort of hatred that led Roof to murder nine innocent people. Vandalizing monuments is wrong and I'll be the first to tell you that. But hand-wringing isn't going to stop the domino's or the anger or the nation. Discourse, on the other hand, is.

Maybe I'm just being naive. I don't know. My thoughts on this subject change daily. I'm just not sure what to think.

I think that we need more than discourse. We need more and more to respect all of our different heritages that makes this the best country in the world, but stress our similarities and eliminate discrimination based on those heritages no matter what.

I think that we are failing on the "all", the "no matter what" and in defining all of us today as simply "americans", instead of as "a-heritage-based-adjective americans" and expect (and receive) different treatment based on that heritage.

If you cannot change that, nothing will change.

Delhi Rangers

First Sergeant
I'm sure you are right. I am more concerned about the whole climate, really. Just been in a 'wondering WTH is happening to my nation' kind of mood lately. I admit there are times that challenge my sense of overall perspective.

Pat,
We were having that same type of discussion today.

Rob9641

Captain
Annual Winner
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Pro-Confederate monuments come from another era of our country. They are historic relics and should not be vandalized, but used as a means of education about the CW era and the era that followed that prompted those monuments to be erected. They don't just represent the Confederacy. They also represent the thinking of the post CW era they were erected in. I am against vandalizing them and in favor of using them as a means of teaching a history that was wonderful to some and horrible to others, as long as they are used to teach the whole story and not just to glorify the Confederacy and Jim Crow.

Rob9641

Captain
Annual Winner
I hope not, but this is what happens when movements are allowed to grow without thinking. Both sides are to blame, but when you give them an inch, they take a yard. I am for removal of the flag from all government facilities and functions but they want to eradicate all Confederate history, memory, and heritage. It is a campaign of hate now against my Confederate heritage..........

Respectfully,
William

I mean this question respectfully and not as a flame and so please forgive me if I am having trouble framing the question. What are the good things about your Confederate heritage that you see are under attack?

My heritage is USA, and it is loaded with both good and bad aspects. I believe it is my responsibility to acknowledge both - if I am going to glorify the good, I have to acknowledge the bad, too. Do you feel that way about your Confederate heritage?

To show what I am trying to get at, I see the Confederacy and post-CW era as part of the USA that I have to accept the good and the bad parts about, too. The Confederacy was a bad mistake on the part of American men of power who overplayed their hand, but the soldiers who fought for it fought hard and well and need to be acknowledged for their courage, whatever their beliefs were about what they were fighting for. Systematic race-based slavery was horrible and dead in practically all of the world when the Confederacy was formed to preserve and expand it, but the Confederates put together a working government and effective armies on a shoestring and basically overnight.

Having said all that, I can understand how non-white Americans (blacks, Indians, Japanese) who have been, and whose ancestors were, oppressed and ill-used by the American systems through the years are incredibly angry and tired of it, and I can see how monuments that glorify the oppressors make them livid. That doesn't mean I approve of vandalism, because I don't, but I understand it.

I also think that there are plenty of people who vandalize just for the sake of vandalizing and they will take any advantage they can get to cause damage. That's been happening for years, and not just on Confederate monuments. The Peace Light memorial at Gettysburg gets vandalized with great regularity.

Crowder

Private
Another monument in Charleston has been vandalized. The John C. Calhoun monument on Marion Square downtown.
I think it is just getting started.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Any reason everyone could live with the idea that people just might be so angry, so upset, that they could bring themselves to deface Confederate monuments?

What's next in line that "anger" response? Defacing Confederate monuments at Shiloh and Gettysburg? Defacing confederate artifacts in museums? Where does one draw the line?

Some people just got to realize that there is a correct way and a not so correct way to protest. Because violence or perceived violence can breed only one thing: more violence. And the police better do something to catch those vandals before the wrong people do...

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
What's next in line that "anger" response? Defacing Confederate monuments at Shiloh and Gettysburg? Defacing confederate artifacts in museums? Where does one draw the line?

Some people just got to realize that there is a correct way and a not so correct way to protest. Because violence or perceived violence can breed only one thing: more violence. And the police better do something to catch those vandals before the wrong people do...

Anger does not always equate to correct or reasoned ways to protest. We are not machines. We cannot be programed to respond like a calculator or computer.

I seem to recall the violence does resolve issues. We see such examples of violence determining large national and international issues in our own history.

Does anger have a place in protests?

Unionblue