Restricted Confederate Monument Vandalized

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
This Confederate monument at The Battery in Charleston, South Carolina was vandalized a couple of days ago. Is this a sign of the times in this country?

IMG_20150623_091938.jpg

"mater"? We need a better class of criminal - ones that don't think "would of" is how to write "would've" (which is verbal shorthand for 'would have') and that realize "it's" is a contraction of "it is" and hence don't stick apostrophes in at random, regardless of the English language.

But yes, it is a sign of the times - monuments really don't bother folks as much as that flag, but y'all can't reach the flag so it's the memorials that are (sadly) going to bear the brunt.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I'm generally unhappy with anyone who vandalizes anything. If you don't like a statement that a monument makes, put up your own; don't deface or wreck the one that's there. There are some exceptions at the extremes, but in the main, I'd rather see construction than destruction.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that there's ambivalence in my mind when I see a monument to soldiers who were on the other side of something. But I remind myself that those were "somebody's darlings," too.

Lost Cause

2nd Lieutenant
"mater"? We need a better class of criminal - ones that don't think "would of" is how to write "would've" (which is verbal shorthand for 'would have') and that realize "it's" is a contraction of "it is" and hence don't stick apostrophes in at random, regardless of the English language.

But yes, it is a sign of the times - monuments really don't bother folks as much as that flag, but y'all can't reach the flag so it's the memorials that are (sadly) going to bear the brunt.
Generally speaking, education, or basic spelling for that "mater" are not a high priority for these criminals.

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
You know, if a monument in honor of any cause these vandals may support or believe in was vandalized; you can bet they would have a fit! ...and make a HUGE issue of it by protests and double-talk about how they have been desecrated sooooo badly. I guess it depends upon the political agenda who is heard and who cleans-up after those who are not sufficiently literate to voice concerns and issues to be heard in the proper arena.

Pat Answer

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
This Confederate monument at The Battery in Charleston, South Carolina was vandalized a couple of days ago. Is this a sign of the times in this country?

It is worrying, isn't it?

Because spray-painting a monument is going to bring nine dear people back. :rolleyes: Sometimes I think the whole dang country needs anger management... :banghead:

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020

"Mater" a Disney character or Southern speak for tomato.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
From here:

A lively debate soon followed, attracting Barry Tighe from the organization Code Pink. He wrote up his own sign that read "Take down racist statues" and it was followed by a local man's sign that read "All lives matter #CharlestonUnited."
"If you're not here to help Charleston, pray for Charleston, bring Charleston together, then why are you here?" asked Xavier Rosado.

Tighe and one of his colleagues are from Washington D.C. They said they came to the Holy City to attend the service at Emanuel AME Church. Medea Benjamin said they were on their way home when they saw the statue and decided to stop.

"There's nothing divisive or violent about saying 'Take down that evil symbol' or 'Take down that evil symbol in front of the Statehouse that IS divisive," said Tighe. "This is a divisive statue, not our argument to take this down."

"We're trying to bring Charleston together," said Rosado. "We don't need people like him (Tighe) breaking it apart."

A spokesperson from the mayor's office said clean-up of the statue started Sunday night by an outside vendor contracted by the city.

The process will “take a couple of days” because the chemicals used need to set for several hours.

There is not an estimated cost for clean-up at this time, nor a completion window.

The monument, "To the Confederate Defenders of Charleston - Fort Sumter," was placed in the southeast corner of White Point Garden by The United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Looks like it might be the handiwork of out of towners who came in to protest the current events.

It is worrying, isn't it?

Because spray-painting a monument is going to bring nine dear people back. :rolleyes: Sometimes I think the whole dang country needs anger management... :banghead:

Spray painting monuments and statues has been going on at least since I was a kid many, many moons ago and I'm pretty sure it may have gone on before that. Back in 2004 a couple of guys spray painted the Joe Louis Fist monument in downtown Detroit, were caught, prosecuted, and sentenced to 30 days in jail, $1000.00 fine, and 5 years probation.

18thVirginia

Major
Spray painting monuments vs. engaging in violent behavior against other human beings that will bring more reactions?

Paint will come off.