Restricted Confederate Monument Vandalized

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
My heart goes out to the victim's families......

And my respect goes out to the family members which displayed a level of love, grace and forgiveness during this horrific time in their lives.

They are Christ-like (Christians)!

Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.....

Bill

* And prosecute these vandals!!!

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Rest in peace......

FB_IMG_1435101175573.jpg

Mild53

First Sergeant
I hope not, but this is what happens when movements are allowed to grow without thinking. Both sides are to blame, but when you give them an inch, they take a yard. I am for removal of the flag from all government facilities and functions but they want to eradicate all Confederate history, memory, and heritage. It is a campaign of hate now against my Confederate heritage..........

Respectfully,
William
I am very pleased and a bit surprised at your response William. I agree with you on removal of the CBF from public property. However, I also deeply respect the valor and courage of confederate soldiers. I am not sure how to handle the CBF at memorials, most of which are on public property. I lean to no.

Last time I was at Chickamagua I was disappointed with the number of union monuments that were defaced and vandalized. Defacing any memorial dishonors the dead. It is uncalled for.

Fortunately the dead don't care. How we, the living, react to the desecration is more important. Neither removing the CBF from the statehouse grounds or defacing confederate memorials addresses the real problem.

Mild53

First Sergeant
Walmart is two-faced and they and other businesses and institutions like them are a BIG part of the problem - they have NO principles and don't want anything that will interfere with their profits and so will pander to what they see as any majority opinion, no matter how radical.

How can the majority be radical.? Isn't a radical position one that is inconsistent with common thinking?

Mild53

First Sergeant
Any reason everyone could live with the idea that people just might be so angry, so upset, that they could bring themselves to deface Confederate monuments?
I think your point will at best fall on deaf ears, and at worst be seen as rationalization of bad behavior.

Black folks in America have a right to be angry. They aren't even safe in church!

Defacing a monument doesn't address the problem and neither does complaining about it.

How can we solve the problem together?

I really don't know.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Confederate monuments targeted by vandals: Time to rethink memorials?

After the murder of nine black people in a South Carolina church, memorials of pro-slavery politicians and Confederate battles are facing new scrutiny.

By Lisa Suhay, Correspondent June 23, 2015
  • 916269_2_0623-us-update-rflags_standard.jpg

Brian Snyder/REUTERS
    View Caption
Confederate memorials are under attack, from speeches to petitions to outright vandalism.

Last week, a white supremacist was charged with killing nine innocent black men and women. This week, flags and statues associated with the Confederacy have been tried and convicted before the suspected gunman sets foot in court.

More: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Up...targeted-by-vandals-Time-to-rethink-memorials

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Confederate memorial debate in Forest Park

Casey Nolen, KSDK 6:42 a.m. CDT June 23, 2015
635706420193827136-Still0623-00000.jpg

(Photo: KSDK)

321 CONNECT 2 TWEETLINKEDIN 2 COMMENTEMAILMORE
ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - Historians say don't let the old artillery mislead you. Forest Park was never a civil war battle field. The only reason there a confederate statue here is because it is where the donor wanted it built back in 1914. But now, some want it gone.

For 100 years the statue has stood just east of the Missouri History museum and some would say on the southern side of the state's Civil War history - a monument to Confederate "soldiers and sailors" built fifty years after the war.

More: http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2015/06/23/confederate-memorial-debate-in-forest-park/29148043/

Rob9641

Captain
Annual Winner
Confederate monuments targeted by vandals: Time to rethink memorials?

After the murder of nine black people in a South Carolina church, memorials of pro-slavery politicians and Confederate battles are facing new scrutiny.

By Lisa Suhay, Correspondent June 23, 2015
  • 916269_2_0623-us-update-rflags_standard.jpg

Brian Snyder/REUTERS
    View Caption
Confederate memorials are under attack, from speeches to petitions to outright vandalism.

Last week, a white supremacist was charged with killing nine innocent black men and women. This week, flags and statues associated with the Confederacy have been tried and convicted before the suspected gunman sets foot in court.

More: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Up...targeted-by-vandals-Time-to-rethink-memorials

Many now you can understand a little how black people who fell victim to the Fugitive Slave Act felt, or how free blacks taken from Pennsylvania by the ANV felt, or how after the CW the families of people lynched for reasons like looking at a white woman "funny" felt.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I think your point will at best fall on deaf ears, and at worst be seen as rationalization of bad behavior.

Black folks in America have a right to be angry. They aren't even safe in church!

Defacing a monument doesn't address the problem and neither does complaining about it.

How can we solve the problem together?

I really don't know.
There isn't, and won't likely be, an immediate solution. Humans are congenitally wired to react unfavorably to "different." The degree of "unfavorably" is what is in question. Some will vandalize a monument and a few will express it with violence, like that fruitcake in Charleston.

We've made great progress in swallowing the idea that "different" isn't necessarily bad. We just haven't gotten there yet.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Many now you can understand a little how black people who fell victim to the Fugitive Slave Act felt, or how free blacks taken from Pennsylvania by the ANV felt, or how after the CW the families of people lynched for reasons like looking at a white woman "funny" felt.

Really, Rob? Retribution? The South, black and white, suffered for a full century after the war trying to recover and rebuild. Now, you feel it hasn't suffered enough but we need to feel the pain of those who suffered a hundred years ago. So much for any sense of regional reconciliation.

Your oozing of hatred toward anyone who might not want to see historic public art defaced certainly does not mirror the Christian love shown by the real victims here, the families and friends of those who were murdered. I'll try to emulate them and simply say, go ahead, pick up that first stone.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Really, Rob? Retribution? The South, black and white, suffered for a full century after the war trying to recover and rebuild. Now, you feel it hasn't suffered enough but we need to feel the pain of those who suffered a hundred years ago. So much for any sense of regional reconciliation.

Your oozing of hatred toward anyone who might not want to see historic public art defaced certainly does not mirror the Christian love shown by the real victims here, the families and friends of those who were murdered. I'll try to emulate them and simply say, go ahead, pick up that first stone.

Not what Rob said.