Impressions Co. A 33rd USCT

yankee hoorah

First Sergeant
10873635_1634813460099266_2741332039245233437_o.jpg

This impression is of me portraying a young soldier of the 33rd USCT around the end of the war in SC.

The only thing I could think to suggest is to wear the belt over the Sack Coat. You've got the attitude, build and look down pat IMO.
Agreed about the belt and attitude. Keep it up. You're interest in history as a young man is helping to restore my faith in humanity! Attention to detail is key. Good thing to remember.

If you don't mind a few constructive pointers. I don't mind sharing. USCT soldiers were proud to wear that uniform. Keep your head and shoulders up and back and your gig line straight. The canteen strap is no biggie IMO. If a piece of gear is risking you or the man beside you being hurt of killed, do what you have to do to fix it. Function before fashion my friend. Again keep up the good work!

The traps were worn high so that the belt line will be pretty much over your stomach instead of on the hips so that when the traps were set on your person they rode slightly below the belt line to keep from flapping about. If you've ever tried running with full kit on you'll know why everything was kept tight to the belt line.

On the haversack, cinch up the extra and sew it down as it was one size fits all and you had to adjust it yourself.

For the canteen, I think I ended up making the knot close to the canteen itself so that it wasn't that visible (one still had to stand for dress parade) and wasn't on the shoulder interfering with the musket strap or the knapsack straps.

If you don't mind a few constructive pointers. I don't mind sharing. USCT soldiers were proud to wear that uniform. Keep your head and shoulders up and back and your gig line straight. The canteen strap is no biggie IMO. If a piece of gear is risking you or the man beside you being hurt of killed, do what you have to do to fix it. Function before fashion my friend. Again keep up the good work!

I just quoted an old gentleman who was freed during the Combahee River raid (technically that was the 34th SC) -- he said he'd never seen anything like the presumption of those soldiers, they just came right ashore, holding their heads high.

The traps were worn high so that the belt line will be pretty much over your stomach instead of on the hips so that when the traps were set on your person they rode slightly below the belt line to keep from flapping about. If you've ever tried running with full kit on you'll know why everything was kept tight to the belt line.

On the haversack, cinch up the extra and sew it down as it was one size fits all and you had to adjust it yourself.

For the canteen, I think I ended up making the knot close to the canteen itself so that it wasn't that visible (one still had to stand for dress parade) and wasn't on the shoulder interfering with the musket strap or the knapsack straps.
For the haversack I was told it should sit where the bottom goes no farther than the wrist. Yes I took out the strap knot.

Back