Classification of Candies

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
With the holidays approaching and the interest in candy making, thought post on the classification of candy.

Candies maybe classifies as:

1 Crystalline, in which sugar crystals are large as in commercial rock candy or so small that they are not felt by the tongue, as in fondant or fudge.

2. Non-crystalline, in which sugar crystals are not present, such as peanut brittle, taffy and caramels.

3. modified candies of the gum drop, divinity and marshmallow type, which depend on added ingredients such as egg white and gelatin for their texture.

For making candy one needs the proper equipment, dependable recipes and careful techniques, As to Sugar Cookery one needs a two quart saucepan for the average recipe, a fork wrapped with cloth and moistened slightly for washing down crystals from sides of pan, a candy thermometer calibrated to read at least 400 degrees, cold water, cup and spoons for cold water tests.

You also need wooden spoons for beating, measuring cups and spoons, a spatula, two-tined fork for dipping, marble slab or large platter for kneading fondant, metal baking sheets or pans and waxed paper.

Anyone can make candy. It takes practice. Start with simple candies first and then transition to more complex forms.

Candy making can be fun. If you have children or grandchildren, get them involved, I learned how to make candy from my Granny. She made some of the best fudge, pralines, taffy, peppermint sticks, and molasses candy.

Give candy making a try I think many of you will enjoy it and feel like you have accomplished a different type of cooking. Also you will give enjoyment to others by giving them the candies.

Candy making really is fun! We usually stick to fudge or divinity, maybe some peanut brittle but Dad once in a while likes a taffy pull. That's good exercise, too! :D My mother in law sends a big box of homemade candies every Christmas - hand dipped chocolates, truffles, caramels, lemon drops, gumdrops... I was certain at least some of it was store bought it was so perfect, she's that good! :cloud9:

We tried to make candy once,even bought a candy thermometer.it can be a pain getting you sugar to those high temperatures needed.I remember one term about temperature and it was called crack,I think it was about 315° though I am far from being sure.Sugar at that temperature is a dangerous thing because if you get it on you it won't come off and you can get a serious burn that will send you to the hospital.it is easier to just buy it.

We tried to make candy once,even bought a candy thermometer.it can be a pain getting you sugar to those high temperatures needed.I remember one term about temperature and it was called crack,I think it was about 315° though I am far from being sure.Sugar at that temperature is a dangerous thing because if you get it on you it won't come off and you can get a serious burn that will send you to the hospital.it is easier to just buy it.

Yes, there are some types of candy I'm way too clumsy to make these days. Sugar at the molten lava stage is right up there with welding!

P S
If you get to the hard crack stage, that's where it's good to have fire fighters around...they have kevlar shirts and pants! Son...you want to get your jacket on and handle that pot right there... :D

Last edited:
Donna. as usual you are a bearer of extraordinary and useful information who's kindness knows no bound. keep up the good work. David.

Back