Victorian Christmas Confections

My dear, sweet friend David! We're just getting started. Pace yourself and it will be fine. @7th Mississippi Infantry and @JohnW. can be counted on to eat the leftovers and take out the trash when they get back from Alice's Restaurant. :giggle: Just go light on the sugar plums. @LoriAnn made them. :sneaky:
Eleanor. I guess you and LoriAnn can get me a gym membership for Christmas. LOL. David.

Pinterest

The earliest reference to jelly beans is associated with a Boston candy maker named William Schrafft. Schrafft urged people to send his jelly beans to Union soldiers fighting in the Civil War.

I found a recipe for homemade jelly beans. Sounds kind of complicated to me, but I bet some of our CWT friends are up to the challenge!

Homemade Jelly Beans

Ingredients for making the center of the jelly beans:

1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon plain gelatin
1 cup pulp free fruit juice or pre-made drink mix (Margarita, Pina Colada, etc.) - I like this part!
1/2 teaspoon salt
Bowl of ice cubes
Cooking spray
Cornstarch

Directions for making the center of the jelly beans:

1) Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, 2 1/1 cups sugar, and the gelatin in a large saucepan. Over medium heat, allow the liquid to come to a boil slowly. If the syrup heats too quickly, it is likely to burn before it reaches the desired temperature. Stir slowly and continuously while the mixture heats up.

2) Check the temperature of the syrup from time to time with a candy thermometer. The desired temperature is 230 degrees. Do not try to speed up the process by raising the heat too high! If the syrup is too hot, the finished product will be too hard and the distinct chewiness of the jelly bean ruined. It will take about 25 minutes for the syrup to reach 230 degrees, so patience is key. IF the syrup is heating too quickly, lower the temperature and continue cooking, monitoring the temperature carefully.

3) Once the syrup has reached 230 degrees, remove the saucepan from the heat and place it on top of the ice in the bowl to stop the temperature of the syrup from rising further.

4) While the saucepan is on the ice, add the juice or mix of your choice and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix the syrup and flavoring together thoroughly and quickly, then allow the syrup to cool completely.

5) Spray the jelly bean pans lightly with the cooking spray. Fill the molds with the syrup, keeping the edges as neat as possible. This can be done with a spoon, but some people find it easier using a food syringe or a freezer bag with a very small corner snipped off to pipe the syrup into the molds like icing. Any method is effective and the choice is up to the cook. However it is done, it should be accomplished quickly to avoid the syrup becoming too thick or gummy as it stands.

6) Allow the jelly beans to stand in the molds for 4-6 hours or overnight to become firm.

7) Spread wax paper on a flat surface and sprinkle with a good amount of cornstarch. Pop the jelly beans out of the molds and set them on the cornstarch. Throw jelly beans pans in the freezer for about 10 minutes if stubborn jelly beans that won't easily leave the molds. Sprinkle with more cornstarch or gently stir the jelly beans around in the cornstarch with your fingers, making sure that no two jelly beans are touching. Allow the jelly beans to sit until they are dry. This can take several hours or overnight, depending what time you began the process.

8) Once the jelly beans are dry, use the wax paper to transfer the jelly beans and cornstarch into a colander. Shake until all of the excess cornstarch is off the jelly beans. Move on to making the shell of the jelly beans.

Ingredients for making the shell of the jelly beans:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon extract (a flavor that will complement the filling of the jelly bean)
Food coloring (any color)

Directions for making the shell of the jelly beans:

1) In a pot or jar, combine the cup of sugar and the 1/2 water. Add the extract of your choice, any food coloring, and mix well.

2) Add the jelly beans to the mixture. The goal is to mimic a rock tumbler to coat the jelly beans. Tilt the jar and rotate the jar, keeping the angle the same at all times OR put the lid on the pot tightly and swirl the jelly beans in a circular motion while holding the lid, keeping your movements smooth and steady. Both methods should maintain a steady pace and continue for roughly 15 to 20 minutes, or until the jelly beans appear well-coated when checked.

3) Drain the excess liquid (there should not be a lot if the jelly beans are properly coated) by dumping the jelly beans into a colander.

4) Cover cookie sheets with wax paper and place the jelly beans on the paper without allowing them to touch. Place in the freezer for 3-4 hours, or until completely dry and hardened. It is recommended that you turn the jelly beans over once the top side is dry to get them to dry evenly.

Source: Sweet Pete’s Candy Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time use a mortar and pestle -- much easier, less messy, and creates a very fine consistency.
Bee. Your a woman of many talents. You are not only an accomplished Civil War scholar but a culinary expert as well. I am in awe of such company. David.

Bee. Your a woman of many talents. You are not only an accomplished Civil War scholar but a culinary expert as well. I am in awe of such company. David.

My assistant is a trained chef (he is a real Jeeves) Weekend stress busting consists of cooking lessons (last weekend was roux) He is Norwegian, but uses French for all of the culinary terms

Thank you for the gracious compliment, David -- just don't ask me about anything on TV :wink:

Those look amazing!!! I am sincerely impressed. Yummy!
Thank you. They look so innocent, don't they? They aren't! :devilish:

So I was looking up Sugar Plums last night. (You know...instead of sleeping.) There are some variations to the recipe. And a very old but authentic recipe has just two simple ingredients: Sugar and plums.

From the December 1898 issue of The People’s Home Journal:

Peanut Molasses Candy
Ingredients:
One cupful molasses
Two cupfuls sugar
One tablespoonful vinegar
One tablespoonful butter
One teaspoonful vanilla.

Directions:
Boil mixture ten minutes, or longer, if necessary.
Pour over one cupful peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back