Civilian gun

archieclement

Colonel
I recently bid on a rifle in an auction that I thought was kinda cool, but in the end dropped out as had no idea of value. No markings on metal parts, hand carved/decorated. Thought might be an Indian/trade rifle. Caliber .41 with 31 inch barrel. Was curious your all impressions and what value would have been.

345e_2.jpg

345e_3.jpg

345e_5.jpg

I hadn't ever seen anything like it, so part of me was rather drawn to it........while part of me was saying danger.....you haven't seen anything like before......

Good looking gun, but it's hard to tell if the carving is original or more recent, may be something done to enhance the sale value. Looks like a mountain lion by the length of his tail--or a house cat?

I agree with @Lampasas Bill that the carving is probably more recent. I was going to suggest that the metal parts had been restocked, but then I saw the crack on the left side between the lock screws. The lock has been very finely let into the stock--much more precisely than the carving. I'm pretty sure the gunsmith didn't do that carving.

I agree with @Lampasas Bill that the carving is probably more recent. I was going to suggest that the metal parts had been restocked, but then I saw the crack on the left side between the lock screws. The lock has been very finely let into the stock--much more precisely than the carving. I'm pretty sure the gunsmith didn't do that carving.
I figure the carving was done by a owner, indians would sometimes decorate guns either carved or tacked.

The gun was described as "folk art" whether done by a pioneer/settler or a native American. I was fairly sure the gun itself was unlikely fake, as the aging seems genuine.

My question if ever see something similar again, is does the decorations enhance or detract it's value?

I rely like it! are you going to shoot it? is it a smooth bore, or 41 CAL. rifled?

I rely like it! are you going to shoot it? is it a smooth bore, or 41 CAL. rifled?
I didn't win, I dropped out at $500, as didn't have a good idea the value. When in doubt I stay rather towards the conservative....... Tend to when have a idea as well......why I seldom win auctions lol

I thik that you were smart getting out of the bidding when you did. The lock appears of the type that were used on a double barrel shotgun and the stock is similar to the type that some of the New York gunsmiths would use in the 1860 period. The engraving done on the stock, I think was done long afterwards. The parts appear to be old, but are from an assortment of different periods. A nice wall hanger, but as something for an investment: NO.

Back