1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Chickamauga 2018

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by War Horse, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I've heard all the demand for a CWT reunion at the Chickamauga Battlefield. Let's plan for 2018. This will require a tremendous amount of help. I am not familiar with area at all. I will need a boots on the ground team to help me with the arrangements. I will consult and organize however I can't do it alone. If you are interested in putting a Chickamauga tour together and can help with the planning, Please PM me and we will get started. I have a great interest in this battle as you might imagine. The old Bull of the Woods finest hour. Let's get to work!

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

This sounds like a good idea.very important that even though this is in the mountain region of Georgia it can get really hot.if you haven't lived in the south this can become very uncomfortable so look for the excursion to take place around the anniversary date or later.it is easier to put on a sweater then find airconditioning on the battlefield.

4. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Oh my, my chance to see you all again and pay my reverence to my favorite General! Almost too good to be true!
    I will have to convince Dirk but he liked the September to Remember 2016 meeting and I hope we will be able to find a date when we all can attend.
    Thank you so, so much, @War Horse and all of you who will help him!

5. nitrofd

This will have to take a Lot of planning as Chickamauga-Chattanooga Military Park is huge and covers so much area.you will need to find out what everyone wants to see especially those that have never been there.

6. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I'm completely in the dark but I'm willing to give it a try.

7. nitrofd

I will give you any help you may need .

8. War Horse

thank you. we need to find hotels and restaurants that will work with us. Normally they will require contracts. I've taken it upon myself and signed them. I feel foolish asking someone else to do the same.

Podad, FarawayFriend and JohnW. like this.
  9. MajGenl.Meade

MajGenl.Meade Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Bloemfontein, Vrystaat, Republiek van Suid-Afrika
    aaargh! The plan is for me to be in South Africa from (say) mid-August to mid-May every year. So I'll miss all the action at Chickamauga (or Chickamaunga :rofl:) in 2018 and Gettysburg in 2017. There must be much photographing and posting, please

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Sounds as though either stray fingers on the keyboard or, more likely, the dreaded autocorrect, has been at work on the thread title! On the other hand, it will attract more attention!

Like @MajGenl.Meade, I'll once again have to depend on after action reports.

JohnW. likes this.
  11. nitrofd

LOL,I just noticed it.

KansasFreestater and JohnW. like this.
  12. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Great idea!!! I lived for a little while in Chattanooga. Rossville and Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia were pretty user friendly in the late 80's, early 90's.

Podad, FarawayFriend and nitrofd like this.
  13. Jamieva

Jamieva 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

I will try to work this one into my schedule. I saw Chickamauga but only briefly 25 years ago so it would be nice to get back there with some knowledgable people.

bdtex, chellers, Podad and 2 others like this.
  14. Aussie Billy Sherman

Aussie Billy Sherman First Sergeant

I've always wanted to go to Chickamunga!

15. StephenColbert27

StephenColbert27 First Sergeant

Sign me up! Happy to help in any way.

16. LostGettysburgAddress

LostGettysburgAddress Private

Dave Powell would be the guy to get for this. Have exchanged a few emails with him but really do not know the man. My editor at Georgia Backroads is also very familiar with this battlefield. I could enlist his help with recommendations on all travel aspects. So close to Missionary Ridge and Chattanooga. I went to the battlefield years ago, as coincidentally, my great, great, great grandfather had his farm on what was Ft. Oglethorpe. He sold some of the land to the government for the fort and other land I think for the battlefield park.

17. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

May I suggest using Chattanooga as the base of operations. There is a pretty decent airport there and plenty of hotels. The Hood's Texas Brigade Association Reactivated Battlefield Tour last year was Chickamauga. We based outta Chattanooga and there is so much to see and do there too.

18. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Jim Ogden is there too.

J. D. Stevens and Podad like this.
  19. Rebforever

Rebforever Captain

I have a friend in Pittsburgh that goes to all the spring special programs at Chickamauga. I will get in touch to see if he is interested or maybe can recommend someone else
    The Chickamauga battlefield is ok for a weekend as was Gettysburg. And also if one wants to come early or stay late is ok too.

Half day to top Lookout Mountain on tram.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  20. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Hey, we have not yet talked about a date.
    As we will probably have to come during our summer or fall school vacation time here in Germany, it is still risky for us, too. Maybe we will find a date that makes it possible for the two of us to attend, too! Our summer vacation dates change every year, as each state in our Federal Republic sets the dates separately, so that in turns every state is first in the summer vacation season, or middle or last. I will have to find out when Lower Saxony has set the summer vacation dates (and/or fall vacation dates) for 2018.

21. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Braxton Bragg?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.