Charleston, SC

dlavin

Sergeant Major
I think I am headed to Charleston, SC for a few days. I say "I think" because I am still trying to figure things out. I think I previously thought of doing the Retreat from Petersburg tour, but now somewhat landed on Charleston.

I've been there once before, admitted during a much different time in my life while i was in college, and priorities were different then :bounce:.

Other than the forts that dot the harbor, what other places should I go to?

Hunley museum. Can't miss that. Located on the old naval base, N Charleston. The visitors center at Ft Moultrie is much improved.
I found Fort Moultrie fascinating. My wife and I were in the bottom part of it...ww2 area stuff and the door closed and locked on us. Could not budge it.
Went out by an emergency exit and was by the keep off the grass sign. Imagine they thought I couldn't read.
:smile:.

My list is long, but it's all good. Some of the house tours provide a nice respite from the heat. Charleston is a great city. Have fun!!! BTW, if you want some restaurant ideas, I've got plenty of them. I know other members will too! :hungry:

Fort Sumter
Fort Moultrie
City Market
City Hall
USS Yorktown
Slave Market Museum
The Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon
Drive to Johns Island to see the Angel Tree at 3688 Angel Oak Road - gate closes at 5:00 sharp!
Visit a plantation like Boone Hall or Magnolia Plantation & Gardens (offers rice field river tour)
Harbor tour - Carolina Belle Charleston
SC Aquarium
Joseph Manigault House
Morris Island Lighthouse – boat tour only
St. Michael's Church
Nathaniel Russell House
Aiken-Rhett House Museum
Wadmalaw Island – Tour the Charleston Tea Plantation (near Angel tree location)
Citadel campus or College of Charleston - great place to walk
Ghosts of Charleston Tour - If you enjoy this sort of thing, this tour is great!

Back