Uniforms Cast Confederate Block I Button, Opinions Please!

mgkasper

Cadet
Greetings, what are your opinions of this dug Cast I button? I apologize if the images are a bit blurry which is how I downloaded them.
Thanks in advance.

Block I Back 2.jpg

Block I Back 1.jpg

Block I Front.jpg

Its very hard to tell anything with the blurred photos, plus could you post one of the hole?

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, this image is the best I was able to obtain from the seller of the button hole!

Button Hole.jpg

Blurry images makes one wonder. Ucvrelics is the go to guy on this kind of things.

Excellent!!! Thanks a bunch! Where were all the Cast I buttons made? I am aware of slight variations.

Excellent!!! Thanks a bunch! Where were all the Cast I buttons made? I am aware of slight variations.
With no back-mark there is now way to tell who made them as there were many small time foundries that poured these as there are many different variation. They have been faked and the drill hole tells the tale. Due to the weight and the rough drill hole in the eye many of these were lost due to cutting the thread. With the blurring photos if your buying I would pass as the patina doesn't look right. Here are a few of the Ive dug in my current camp and you can the the variations in them.
1616549216694.png

With no back-mark there is now way to tell who made them as there were many small time foundries that poured these as there are many different variation. They have been faked and the drill hole tells the tale. Due to the weight and the rough drill hole in the eye many of these were lost due to cutting the thread. With the blurring photos if your buying I would pass as the patina doesn't look right. Here are a few of the Ive dug in my current camp and you can the the variations in them.
View attachment 395231
@ucvrelics Is the star some sort of corps badge?

I'm not crazy about the patina nor the drill hole as most just had a hole and no countersink look portion.

I agree with, and defer, to ucvrelics... to me the hole is also suspect. those that I have found were not countersunk and most have off centered holes in a nearly square "shank" (again, in those that I've dug). legit cast I's pop up for sale all the time in the $125-$150 zone , sometimes less, from known dealers - not sure who your seller is. there are always others out there if you should decide not to proceed with this one...

Thanks much Gentlemen for you opinions! I will pass on this example then!
Here is the back of a few of the many cast I's I have dug and know they are authentic. Sometimes the hole is off center and the eyes are not near as thick as the one you posted.
2021-03-24 18.23.44.jpg
2021-03-24 18.25.06.jpg

Excellent, very nice finds! Thank you for sharing these details which makes for great future reference.

The block I solid cast buttons are fantastic pieces of Confederate history....I'm certainly not one to tell whether they are authentic or not, I just dig the relics.
However, I did find one a few years ago and was told by a fellow hunter that these solid cast I's were made in two places - Tuscaloosa, AL and Atlanta, GA.

The block I solid cast buttons are fantastic pieces of Confederate history....I'm certainly not one to tell whether they are authentic or not, I just dig the relics.
However, I did find one a few years ago and was told by a fellow hunter that these solid cast I's were made in two places - Tuscaloosa, AL and Atlanta, GA.
With no backmark it has always been hard to say but we have found 5 mold variations of these so ther has to be more than 2 makers. I know they were made in Ttown, Atlanta, Augusta, Nashville. Most solid cast CS buttons are found in the western theater.

Back