Brogans or "Riding Boots"?

A quick query,for a dismounted cavalry scout,c 1863,of a Confederate battalion in Virginia,which of the above would be the most likely to have been worn,i ask because my chosen subject has been described as "mounted infantry" in some quarters and,would spurs have been worn after dismounting or removed,i already have my own opinion on the latter but i'm keen to know what others think.

A quick query,for a dismounted cavalry scout,c 1863,of a Confederate battalion in Virginia,which of the above would be the most likely to have been worn,i ask because my chosen subject has been described as "mounted infantry" in some quarters and,would spurs have been worn after dismounting or removed,i already have my own opinion on the latter but i'm keen to know what others think.
Brogans, by 63 the CS was starting to feel leather shortages. Spurs are for riding not tracking through the woods.

I would be tempted to tell you to go Infantry as a Cavalryman sans horse is merely an Infantryman with pretensions.

Brogans, by 63 the CS was starting to feel leather shortages. Spurs are for riding not tracking through the woods.

I would be tempted to tell you to go Infantry as a Cavalryman sans horse is merely an Infantryman with pretensions.
Many Thanks!,Brogans it is,the idea concerning the other pair was for a set "donated" to the cause by a civilian,i'd pretty much dispensed with the notion of spurs but,i wanted to make sure,first (being an ignoramus),as to the possibility of...going infantry...well,my lot (34th Virginia Cavalry) have been described as mounted infantry and as my kit is geared up to 'cav,anyway,i'll stick with that,if anyone asks then i'll tell them the mount is tied to a tree just out of sight.

Many of them would tie burlap around their calves if they didn't have boots.
I believe there's an Alfred Waud drawing showing such a contrivance on the Contents page of Vol. II of the Deluxe set of the 1960 American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War.

Back